Possible to force cross-staff beam of chord to be in between the staves?

Hello,

Is it possible to force the 2nd and 3rd beats of the screenshot to match the first beat? I would like the 16th note beam to be in between the staves. When I force the stem down, it forces the beam to be underneath the stave.

Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 4.18.21 PM

the problem is you have all those notes sharing a beat.
it would be quite non-standard notation to have a beam between them.
you’re far better off making the upper notes IN that staff, and the lower notes in that staff.

1 Like

That’s what I thought, but a pianist I’m working with specifically requested that notation. If it’s possible, I would rather do it than not

Dorico doesn’t support beams between staves when notes appear need to appear on both sides of the beam. It is, of course, sometimes done (we have a few scores by Xenakis, for example, that use this notation), but the compromise is that the notes on one of the staves have to be on the “wrong” side of the stem, and at the moment Dorico doesn’t support it.

when someone requests something wrong, it is the engraver’s job to explain to them why it’s wrong and that the alternative is better from a readability stand point.

I hate when that happens.
the best solution is ALWAYS the most standard one.

It seems the way Xenakis does it can be done manually quite easily in Dorico by moving the ligature in engrave mode.

This from his Piano piece Herma.

This way though is quite hard to achieve manually but still possible. Note that the noteheads are not aligned

neither are the beams.

1 Like

this has been very helpful, and actually fascinating, looking at the Xenakis examples. thanks everyone!