possible to ignore dynamics during playback?

By all means please attach a contrary example.

Sample project attached. The ppp dynamic has the “Suppress playback” property, but it is still being honoured, using external MIDI. Thanks for looking at this.
immediate_dynamic_not_suppressed.zip (344 KB)

I can’t verify the playback on your MIDI device, but I can verify the playback using the built-in sounds, and the dynamic is correctly suppressed for me. And the dynamics lane in Play mode shows the dynamic remaining fff throughout. Can you export a MIDI file of your little example so we can see what velocities are being exported?

I can reproduce this using the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth - can you try that, Daniel? It’s available as a virtual MIDI device on my system. (Windows 10). If you can get that to work, that will allow you to verify a fix, assuming this is a genuine problem.
Just btw, just now, I can’t get any VST instruments to work at all, but I have not yet installed the Steinberg soundset for Elements. I’ve had Kontakt working in the past, but now it’s stopped - when I click on the “Edit Instrument” button, nothing happens, so I can’t configure Kontakt. Same problem with other VSTs. Let me know if I should open a new thread for all this - I don’t want to pollute this one.

Is it possible that the GM Wavetable Synth isn’t velocity-sensitive? Or that you’re specifying an inappropriate MIDI controller for the playback of dynamics? I can’t easily install the GS Wavetable Synth, no (for starters I don’t have my own Windows computer).

I got a VST to work, and the same problem occurs.
I then switched back to MIDI, and logged the MIDI, and confirmed that Dorico is indeed sending lower velocities for the two ppp dynamic notes.
Raw dump below. Is there something I could be doing wrong to cause this?
Is it perhaps a limitation of Elements?

775967 - MIDI IN [Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual In]: 90 48 77
776491 - MIDI IN [Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual In]: 80 48 00
776565 - MIDI IN [Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual In]: 90 48 0F
777091 - MIDI IN [Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual In]: 80 48 00
777160 - MIDI IN [Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual In]: 90 48 0D
777689 - MIDI IN [Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual In]: 80 48 00
777768 - MIDI IN [Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual In]: 90 48 76
778292 - MIDI IN [Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual In]: 80 48 00

It is General Midi compliant, so it responds to note-on velocities, and also CC7 (“volume”) and CC11 (“expression”).

Any other GM sound set should give the same results.

If the GM synth wasn’t velocity sensitive, all notes would play back with the same velocity, so the question didn’t even make sense. :grinning: I’m trying to suppress a dynamic, remember.
Just FYI, this is not a big problem for me - I’m simply reporting it, that’s all.

coming back to Andrew’s question, is it posssible?
I would love to click the "ignore automation’ button :slight_smile:

(I drag & drop midi files directly from Cubase, so the automation is copied as well. In most cases this means I can not hear the strings at all. It’s a LOT of work editing the automation of all the tracks in Dorico just to hear the notes playback)

There’s no way of quickly muting the automation data, I’m afraid.

I expect that we will add more options to control MIDI export in the future, but for the moment, one other thing you could do is switch the playback template temporarily to either HSSE Elements or Silence, which won’t use CCs for dynamics.

You should set the dynamic curve to 0.

Thanks, all!
I’ll have a go at it.