Possible to retain midi file names for Parts?

Cubase is getting old… But it seems Cubase is not the only one with Alzenheimers? :slight_smile:

We’ve been over this before before haven’t we? And I still think it’s basically a Windows 7 thing?

Raino, get over your trauma and upgrade to Windows 10 once more? Support for Windows 7 will end soon anyway (14-01-2020). So you’re pushing the boundaries anyway. Time to move on!

Make an image, upgrade and evaluate? If you still have 'major issues it’s probably something that needed fixing in the first place anyway? So be prepared that you might have to reinstall completely?

I’ve done this a few times over the last 3 years or so because of corruption and the move to another desktop?
And I can tell you it’s a bitch that will keep you busy for days installing everything again. Maybe even keep you busy for weeks for the minor configurations! But I promise you. In the end it’ll be worth it!

Just make sure you make a good image you can restore files and settings from when you need it! So you can compare settings and replace when needed. But really, I didn’t need to restore anything myself. Just needed to configure loads of stuff to be happy again! :smiley:

@Nickeldome it’s not only a Windows issue. The videos I made are in Mac OSX. And the testing was made in Windows too. It was just easier for me to make screen record in a Mac…
Off topic: which version of Windows 10 do you suggest? I want to make the jump from 7 to 10.
Thank you!

In theory I agree, but I’m not ready to buy a new PC yet. And the one I have will not properly upgrade. I spent over two weeks trying, symptoms were extensively explored online, disks were cloned & replaced, many many many registry entries were edited, I learned where the elusive backdoor at Central Computer in downtown SF is hidden. No matter what, as a Win10 machine within 5 minutes to 3 hours after booting the PC became 100% non-responsive even with nothing else running.

Beside’s it runs everything I need to do. If midi filenames is the cost I can live with that burden. And I don’t miss Microsoft’s heavy handed Win10 upgrades that sometimes mess up DAWS. As an ex-IT guy I’m totally comfortable not having ongoing MS support.

I’ve tested this on v1709 and v1809. I’m currently working on v1809 without any issues. I have no issues retaining the midi filename after dragging! See screenshot.

Every one is weary of updates by Microsoft. :frowning: If you’re happy with Windows 7 and don’t want to move to v10 then by all means stick to this. But realize that Steinberg is also moving on and you may get incompatibility issues eventually? I think new employments are even only tested on 10? So be aware of other incompatibility issues in the near future?

Does this actually have anything to do with Windows versions?

I played around with this for a bit, by which I mean for too long, :blush: and I don’t think there’s a way to get the filename of a midi file to appear as the part name.

For type 0 midi files (single track with and multiple channels), Cubase uses the track’s name in the file for the Part name.

For type 1 files, (multiple tracks) Cubase uses the name of the last track in the midi file as the part name.

Sorry my fault…
I mean what edition. Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Pro for Workstations?
Sorry for OFF TOPIC.

@nickledome- The gif you posted shows midiloops, which are not midi files.

@pliktro- The filename of imported midi files is not used by Cubase. It depends on what’s in the file and what the Cubase import settings are, but, largely speaking,
For type 0 midi files (single track with multiple channels), Cubase uses the track’s name in the file for the Part/Track name in Cubase.

For type 1 files, (multiple tracks) Cubase uses the name of the last track in the midi file as the part name.

Ok then everything is working fine in my system if this behaviour is normal. Because the files kept their track names.

yup!