powered off UAD plugins don't process when powered on

Found a repro.

My System:
MacPro 1,1
RME Fireface 800 x2
Nuendo 5.5
UAD 6.0: 3x UAD quads
UAD meter app settings: DSP limit 100, DSP load lock ON, extra buffer OFF, release all DSP for AU ON, force logic OFF, controls mode linear

1. create new empty session (44/24)
  2. add 4 stereo audio tracks
  3. insert a steinberg test generator plugin set to white noise into insert 1 on track 1
  4. in the mixer, drag + copy this test gen plugin to each insert #1 of the other three tracks (2,3,4)
  5. insert a UAD 1176 on insert 2 of track 1
    —note the 1176 is processing, the VU meter is activate
  6. power off this 1176 plugin on track 1
  7. drag copy track 1’s powered off 1176 plugin to track 2 insert2
  8. drag copy track 2’s powered off 1176 plugin to track 3 insert2
  9. drag copy track 3’s powered off 1176 plugin to track 4 insert2
  10. as all test gens on all tracks are producing audio, power on track 2’s 1176 and watch its VU meter
    —no meter activity is seen
  11. repeat step 10 for track 3
    —no meter activity is seen
  12. repeat for remaining tracks

I am able to repeatedly perform this test with these same results.

Can you repro?

I can repro this every time… here’s a video of the repro…

Can anyone repro this?

About to give it a try.
One question - why is DSP level set to 100% with Load Lock on? Recommended settings there are 95%, not 100%…
Will test on my setup (SIngle UAD-Quad loadlock at 95% - if this does not trigger, will set to 100 & try again)

EDIT.
Confirmed.
That certainly triggers this issue.
Also does it on the Neve 33609, but interestingly not the Lexicon 224 reverb, the LA2A, LA3A etc.
Only a few plugins are affected…but great find for the repro - now something can hopefully get done.
I think it will help if all UAD plugins can be tested out

hasn’t this been around in one variant or another since Nuendo 4?
certainly it has with me.

It does happen to me with the LA3A as well.
rsp

Yes its been around for a long time, and its about time is gets FIXED!

Ryan ,

Have you sent this off to uaudio as well? I think now that it is pinned down to a repro, both sides can take a look at the issue.

Users have reported that it occurs with other NON-UA plugins. As UA has stated this is not their bug, it’s probably NOT a UA issue.

Ahh… I now remember reading that.

Ryan, I really appreciate you digging into this issue. I had given up pursuing it years (or so it seems that long ago) when both companies were pointing the finger at each other. This issue along with the PDC issue I found with UAD plugs have been going on for a while. I just dealt with it for all this time.

Again, much appreciation for you spearheading this.

What PDC issue with UA plugins? I reported here BUG: plugin delay compensation is broken - Nuendo - Steinberg Forums a PDC issue with Nuendo but it since has been fix (as stated by Fredo) in 5.5.

I have heard one user state he has reproduced this issue with Voxengo MSED plugin.

Honestly, this issue causes me so much wasted time and paranoia I’m sick to death of it and its infuriating to hear this issue was been around for years and still hasn’t been fixed.

I’m totally with you with the paranoia. I gave up sending in support tickets and talking to reps (in person mind you at AES and on the phone when there was phone support) about issues and never saw much if anything come from my effort to report in. Thats why I will not upgrade to 5.5 for a while and why my cubase licenses are sitting at previous versions (v4 and v5 licenses) but guess what? When Pro Tools 10 comes out, I will get that without a doubt. sorry to get a bit off topic… Just my thoughts surrounding this stuff.

I read the PDC was fixed, but honestly that will not lead me to upgrade anytime soon… Especially with the corrupt project thread still alive. Its not worth my time (I work 50-60 hrs a week) and I don’t want anymore work to fall on the def because it would tick me off like it has in the past. Now Steinberg has more prosumer products and where are we… Patient… waiting… reporting… working around… but mixing and recording anyway because it is in our blood and ears to do so.

Anyway… sorry if this seems like a rant. It isn’t. Just history and my current reality in my noggin.

I do really give you and the other users a lot of credit for finding and reporting issues. I just hope you all don’t burn out like I did doing it.

Well, I agree in sorts.

I mean protools has upped its game A LOT. It’s tempting now that UAD is happy there. I mean I have PT9, cause I have to, but there are things I like and things I don’t. Either way its simple and stable. Not that advance though.

My problem with Nuendo these days is its seems the advanced features have run out of control and their logic is trampling over other feature logic all over the place. Nuendo is a probably, and will always be, the most advance DAW ever. But these days I just wanna get work, post production in LA is protools unfortunately, I wanna get work done quickly, easily, so whoever gets me there is going to win.

Also the top DAWs are hovering around $500 now. And Nuendo is still like $1800 or something. For that price there can’t be PDC, mixer routing, plugins don’t process, ie significant issues. I just won’t tollerate it… and I don’t have to when protools and logic are $500.

Now back to getting this thing fixed!

Fredo?

So I do my part and provide repro and yet I here no reply from SB…

What is the status of this issue?

Hi,
the bug is filed and reproduced. We’ll try to fix that for the next maintenance update.

Best regards,
Thorsten

Ah ! Good to know.
Thank you.

Paul

Fantastic!

Hi,
on deeper investigation by our developers it turned out that this issue cannot be fixed on our side. As far as we can see, the UAD plugins optimize their signal flow internally, which doesn’t seem to initialize reliably when we are re-ordering.
We’re in touch with UAD in order to check for a solution.

Sorry about the bad news.
Thorsten

ok. but so you know…it started with Nuendo 4, that is the bypassing or powered on not the reordering…that is, one day it worked fine with Nuendo 3, I installed Nuendo 4 with the same version of UAD plugins and bam problem… also are cubendo the only hosts with this problem?
anyway hoping the tag you are it doesn’t go on for much longer
rsp

Has a solution to this problem been found?