Ppppp<f

I’m trying to adjust the overall dynamics. Currently “f” is loudest with outside library. And “ppppp” is the first usable volume, I found everything from the dynamic curve screen, to adjusting individual pitches.

I want that overall usable range to reflect that same difference to more like ppp<fff on the score. I could continue to use ppppp<f and that would work fine as far as variable dynamics sound-wize, but would rather not do that on the score.

What playback device(s) are you using? If you’re using a single sound library for your playback, I would expect that manipulating the dynamic power curve in Playback Options should be sufficient.

I wasn’t sure if that would only change the degree of difference between 2 nearest dynamic markings, rather than move up the whole lot of them. Guess I will go mess with that then.

Thanks.

the power curve generally works as it says with the general impression (if not the exact definition) of greater dynamic range at higher levels. Exactly how the dynamics are controlled depends very much on the playback library. The more sophisticated ones will generally have two independent dynamic controls, one for volume and one for the character of the sound. In the Expression Map, you can set both to work in relation to each other. For best advice, tell us which playback device you’re using as Daniel suggests.

If you are simply saying that everything is proportionately too loud – which seems to be the implication, then of course you can simply reduce the master volume in Dorico or your virtual library.

No, I’m happy with the dynamic range, it’s how it’s being shown on the score.

For instance the loudest sound is fine. But f is the same as ffff. I don’t want it to get any louder, I want fff to represent the loudest sound, not f. (or ffff perhaps, then all else relative to that on down.)

I’m using East West Play plugin.

surely if you reduce the overall volume then fff in the score can be set to give the same dynamic as f currently? You say at the moment that f in the score gives the loudest volume you want and that what you want is for fff in the score to represent the loudest. If the relative values are correct in proportion to each other then there shouldn’t be a need to do anything else.

Or perhaps you mean something different or I’ve misunderstood something?

EWQL Play expects you to use both CC1 (and/or velocity where appropriate) and CC11 controllers in the Expression Map to control the instruments in full but this is a wider issue.

Hmm, I just tried that, but still no difference between f and fff

I only tried the volume in dorico though. Will try it in play.

No difference the other way either. But thanks for the suggestion.

and what happens if you type ppp instead? How much quieter is it, assuming it is. If you find no difference in the volume between dynamic markings two steps apart (as in f and fff) then it strongly suggests to me that the dynamic controllers are not programmed correctly and that’s determined in the Expression Maps. Which EM’s are you using? Did you create your own or get them from somewhere else?

ppppp is silent
pppp has some volume
ppp a little louder…
…and so forth.

OK – before addressing the question of Expression Maps, what happens if you set the Power Curve to 5. Is there still no difference between f and fff?

Aha, yes I was about to do that from answer from Daniel, but saw your response before I got to it.

:slightly_smiling_face: