Praise for NotePerformer

NotePerformer has been on version 3 for around a decade so I was beginning to assume that development had stopped altogether (other than a rare bugfix) but it appears that a version 4 is in the works. After all this time, it would be reasonable to assume there will significant improvements to the instrument realism and indeed Arne has promised as much.

5 Likes

.Huh? Version 3, which added Dorico and Finale support was released in May, 2018.

Even version 2 wasn’t released until March, 2017

1 Like

The default is LA Studio, not LA Scoring Stage.

You mean 3.2… I think dko is right here :wink:

No, I don’t.

NotePerformer 3.2 December 11, 2018
NotePerformer 3 May 30, 2018
NotePerformer 2 March 6, 2017
NotePerformer 1.5 May 21, 2015

3 Likes

It seems almost unbelievable that NP only first saw the light of day something over 8 years ago as I seemed to have been using it for ever but obviously my memory was indeed playing tricks on me and I appreciate the correction ! I still can’t believe it was a mere 3 1/2 years though since v3 came out as it seems an eternity.

indeed it is. I assume, though, you mean Dorico Reverence and not Reverberance as I don’t see any sign of the latter in Dorico.

From an email convo with Wallander Instruments [NotePerformer parent company], Dec. 25, 2021:

We’re currently working on the next instalment of our software [4.0],
which is a significant update. I’m afraid I can’t get into the
details. We’re working on a platform that should allow us to use
better-quality sounds, and this is an essential step towards that goal
to provide a greater variety of instruments and sounds in the future.

11 Likes

thanks – I’m aware that a new version is in the making though details are hard to come by. Currently the sounds (or at least some of them-- strings and esp.solo strings are the worst) are weaker than the programming so if there is a significant improvement there, it could make NP even more useful than it is currently.

I had to do a mockup of the Star Wars’ Main Title. There is another one around, but it sounds a bit different (probably depending on the slightly different score or that fine-tuning that I didn’t do).

Paolo

4 Likes

For a mock up, that is incredibly satisfying, all things considered.

1 Like

Done with NotePerformer? I’ve made one two years ago, and was never able to make it sound good with anything else than NP…

4 Likes

All NP with the default settings. I can’t even imagine how much work trying it with ordinary sample libraries can require.

Paolo

1 Like

Yes ok! We fully agree then. I tried John Barron’s EM of BBCSO on this file and experienced the most painful audio drops ever…

Whenever NP 4 arrives, I think there’s going to be a stampede…

5 Likes

Most impressive.

I really like Noteperformer because it balances the instruments in a realistic manner. It helps in creating mock-ups by ear. Here’s a clip of one of my latest, Manly Men from the movie Army of Darkness (which is a great score for doing mock-ups due to clear mix).

2 Likes

Last week in my orchestration class, we did an exercise on Schubert’s Unfinished Symphony, from Samuel Adler’s textbook. Instead of the famous opening oboe/clarinet doubling, we experimented with other doublings in NotePerformer: flute/oboe, flute/clarinet (both in unison and octaves), flute/oboe/bassoon, etc. etc.

While it obviously was not the same as writing out parts for live players and bringing them all into the classroom, it was still pretty illuminating.

4 Likes

Hello,
Great rendition congrats!
This one uses NotePerformer only also and sounds terrific!
Regards,
Gil.

2 Likes

Dare I repeat what’s so well known: NotePerformer’s CRAZILY low price and INCREDIBLY easy usage can not be beaten. For these two things, I am extremely happy to have NotePerformer as my main “sound solution” and thank Arne VERY MUCH for it. :slight_smile:

Yes, I do have several other sound libraries, systems and stuff as well, but NP is my absolute favourite in “general use”. Thanks again, Arne. :slight_smile: Really appreciated. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I agree regarding your 2nd bullet. It would be nice if expression map functionality could be expanded to allow dynamic boost/reduction and (icing on the cake) application of different dynamic response curves.