I made a quick project with three stereo tracks. No processing of any kind. I discovered, while testing why Cubase 8’s pass filters sound different than C7/.5, that there seems to be no difference between the 12dB/oct and 24dB rolloffs in both hi- and lopass filters of the Pre section.
- Create several audio tracks. No processing of any kind—including EQ
- Add a lopass filter in the Pre section at a certain centre frequency (I chose 10,000Hz) to all tracks
- Check that the filters are set to 12dB rollof and bounce through main bus. Bring back on new audio track (don’t forget to mute it!)
- Repeat step 3 with filters set to 24dB rollo
- Solo the two new bounced mixes
- Flip polarity on onef
For me, I get complete null—on both lopass and hipass (a tried hipass at 60Hz)
The 36- and 48dB rolloffs do not null to the 12dB—which means they’re working as they should.