"Pre" Rack in Inspector

I may just be missing something obvious, but can’t find a way to include the “Pre” rack in the inspector.

I regularly need to adjust gain on tracks and it would be convenient for me if it was just available in the inspector so I can pin it there.

Many other DAWs have a gain control always available in the left inspector and/or the lower mix console.

No, you’re not missing anything. It’s not in the Inspector. The closest place you can find Pre is in the Channel Settings Window. While that is a separate Window, its display changes to reflect the currently selected Track. So if you leave it open at least you’ll always always have the controls in the same place.

The latest issue of SOS magazine’s Cubase column is about using this often overlooked Window which you might want to check out.

Thanks for your reply Rodger

1. You can set it up under Quick Controls/Input Filter/Pre-Gain, BUT you have to do this for EVERY TRACK!! and per Project

2. Open the Channel Editor as Raino stated, I assigned a key command to open and close it here. You can arrow up and down per track in the channel editor without opening and closing it for each track
    Go to Edit/Key Commands, type in Edit Channel Settings. Pick a key in the Type In Key box, Assign, OK
    When you have the channel window open if you right click towards the top you can Always on Top select

3. Grab all the audio events and bring down the volume using the clip gain on the events, works same as Pre-Gain. I do this A LOT, pretty fast for me

4. Do a quick open of the mix console with the pre opened up and showing. Once you have the pre setup its just a quick F3 back and forth from the mix console to the arrange page

***This really begs the question WHY we don’t have this in the inspector, all DAWS do, so simple.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I’d found that one and already knew about Raino’s suggestion. I was hoping I could keep using the workflow I’ve done for the last 100 years. I’ll just have to teach this old dog a new trick. :slight_smile:

1. Grab all the audio events and bring down the volume using the clip gain on the events, works same as Pre-Gain. I do this A LOT, pretty fast for me

This I use for balancing different clips in a track. Not so keen on using it as a track gain. As I said, I’ll just have to change my workflow if what I want isn’t possible, which I’ve now discovered is the case.

I think this should be a feature request. We have everything but the kitchen sink in the Inspector now. Most I never use, Pre-Gain I would

I almost never use the pre gain. Find it highly confusing looking at waveforms in the audio events that not match what I am hearing. I rather normalize EVERYTHING :slight_smile: