Preferred Sample Rate for Playback

Hi PG …

When defining VST connections, you can also specify the Preferred Sample Rate for playback.

I should know the answer to this, but, what is the effect of this value?

For example, if I have entered 48 kHz as the preferred Sample Rate, but am working on a 96 kHz file, is there a consequence?

For example, is the 96 kHz “resampled” and played at the preferred sample rate of 48 kHz?

Thanks

For example, is the 96 kHz “resampled” and played at the preferred sample rate of 48 kHz?

Yes, if the Master Section is set like this:
2017-11-01_07-50-16.png
IOW, this is a quick way to insert a resampling stage to match the sample rate of your audio device (especially if you audio device has a fixed sample rate). That’s the idea.

Thank you …

So if the resample section is set to “off” it has no effect (providing the audio device can switch sample rates … which my RME can). Correct?

Yes

Thank you …

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this.

As an aside … I wonder if this could have been an influencing factor in the threads concerning the RME playback pause issue demonstrated on some, but not all systems?

Just a thought.

All the best

I wonder if this could have been an influencing factor in the threads concerning the RME playback pause issue demonstrated on some, but not all systems?

No, because the WaveLab sample rate has very little latency.

Of course … thanks again.