Preparing for playback / Playhead line (aka green monster)

A few specific questions, a general one followed by opinion and preference.

Is there a way to turn off the large green playhead line in Write and/or Engrave mode, while still maintaining “follow playhead during playback” as set in the general preferences?

Is there a way to lock (i.e. toggle on or off) the “hide invisibles” display, for example, right before engaging playback?

Has there been any consideration of having playback functionality in Print mode (or is there a way to do that already)?

Fellow Dorico users. How do you prepare the visual aspect of your notation for playback?

Although it’s a staple of notation software, the scrolling playhead over notation is, in my opinion, a nuisance to the professional musician, and, a damaging precedent to musicians in training.

Using notation, the reading and performance of music, from conductor to the individual player and from the composer to the engraver, makes it essential to READ ahead and be able to scan the available landscape of notation up, down, diagonally - any way the eye will go. Having this unrelenting GREEN MONSTER pulling the flow of the music constantly behind causes users young and old to go cross eyed and hurts in the development of the most essential skill, READING AHEAD.

It would be my preference to have a quick mode that I could toggle to before playback to get rid of all extraneous visual elements.

I would like to have the playhead disabled, or at least minimized or de-emphasized, and an option to set the speed of page turns (how early to scan to the next page set).

Essentially, the display of the music is always behind my reading of it, and I don’t like the program telling me where my eyes should be.

Love you Dorico! Happy Saturday to all my fellow Dorkos!

2 Likes

For anyone following here, Derek also posted in the Facebook group.

1 Like

Yes! I asked for this in an earlier thread. When I play something in Dorico I want it to turn the page earlier, as would happen if I were playing an instrument myself and someone were turning pages for me. In those real circumstances, the player memorises several beats worth of music before the end of the page, expects the page turner to anticpate the end of the page, and uses the “early” page turn to be able to focus on the new page.

David

2 Likes