Presto subito!

No way to have a tempo mark such as the above? Or what I actually need, e = 90 subito ?
The nearest I can get is subito e = 90, which is not the recommended position for subito. You need to know what it is you are to do at once before doing it at once.

Kim,
the Tempo popover Shift-T will accept any text you input:
Shift-T, Presto subito!, Enter.
Then down at the Property Panel you may change and edit the time signature. There are lots of options - like the actual metronome mark and wether you want it to be displayed or not…

That’s not what I see. If I type ‘e = 90 subito’ I get ‘subito e = 90’, which is not what I want. Can you get subito to appear after the metronome mark? How do you do it?

[I must admit my Subject heading was misleading and merely designed to get attention. There’s no difficulty entering that — my problem is with metronome marks.]

Dear k-b,
where on earth would e=90 be a presto ? It looks more like a Lento to me :wink: or is it h=90?

Kim, yes Dorico has some hidden inner life, when it comes to entering things like ‘poco’ or ‘subito’ …
That is why I suggest you putting in just the plain text ‘Presto subito!’ and adjust your actual tempo afterwards down in the Property panel. It does work!

Forget ‘presto subito!’! That was just a silly joke of a heading to get attention, and it has got far too much attention. There, I’ve changed it.

What I am trying to enter is the metronome mark e = 90 followed by subito. (I know it’s not Presto, Marc, it was never meant to be.) No matter what hoops I jump through I can only get subito to appear _before_the metronome mark, not after where I want it. I know it’s unusual for anything to follow a metronome mark, but it shouldn’t be impossible, and at least subito can legitimately follow. I suppose the last resort is system text.

It’s how I understood it, a joke :wink:
And you’re right: you’ll have to use system text to add your subito. You have to use it to have line breaks in a tempo too (a very common thing, so I hope the team will implement it soon!)

Thanks Marc. I’ll fake it with system text for the present.

I’m on camp flexibility on most cases, I assure you, but… putting subito at the end of any marking is going against what explicitly writing subito is supposed to mean. For dynamics, sure, but for a tempo marking, even after the metronome marking, where you take quite a few milliseconds more to read and parse?

At once! Play 90 quavers to the minute.
vs.
Play 90 quavers to the minute. At once!

Which one tells you first what you have to do? I think if you are going to have subito anywhere, it belongs after whatever action you are to take, dynamic or tempo change.

Luis, I agree the subito MUST go first… if we were talking about sightreading in real-time only. But that’s only the first time through it. Upon further practice, it’s simply an instruction to be followed.

That said, I do agree “sub. f” is the preferred order.