Previewing plugs and effects...

Greetings,

I’ll apologize in advance for being a very new and under-informed Cubase user–this is probably going to be a stupid question, but I for better or worse haven’t been able to solve this issue by searching this forum, google, or Cubase documentation, etc.

Anyway…I can’t figure out how to set it up so that I can preview effects / plugins before applying them to a recorded track. If I want to apply EQ, reverb, delay, etc., and click “preview” I get no sound. I have to “process” the plugin to the track to hear it, which makes tweaking a bit of a headache.

I am using Cubase 7 with a UR824–I’m not sure if this is related to setting up the UR824, so perhaps I’m in the wrong forum, but I don’t know.

I’ve been able to figure out everything else over the last few weeks learning Cubase 7, but not this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Most of the answers I’ve found through searching seem to apply to older versions of Cubase, or perhaps a different setup that mine.

Thanks for any help.

Use “preview” with the search function - plenty of threads and solutions…

I should have mentioned that I already did search the forum, and didn’t find a solution. I’ve found threads where folks couldn’t preview effects, but the solutions didn’t seem to work or apply in my case, or perhaps referenced older version of Cubase.

I appreciate your time, if anyone has suggestions where to look. Thanks very much.

Are you trying to “print” effects on your audio clips because you really want it or you are doing this as a substitute to insert and sends?

You need to look in your setup.
-Generally preview goes through main out.
-If control room is enabled, it goes through control room.
-If control room is enabled, but not connected, preview goes through control room, but since not connected can not be heard.
-Then there is a preference to route preview through the phones channel. Which routes preview through the phones channel - so also no signal via control room out, but phones channel…

Thanks very much for the information. I don’t have the software with me right now, but will take a closer look at the setup situation with this in mind when I get home.

Funny enough–the only time I’ve ever done anything with control room (as far as I know) is trying to solve this specific problem–it seems the searches I’ve done that other people had to fix some setting related to control room. I’ve only been using Cubase a short time (still learning it) and just haven’t really needed it.

To answer the previous question–I was indeed doing this as a substitute for inserts and sends, I suppose. There is probably a better way to apply effects, but I’m just trying to figure out why preview isn’t working for it’s own sake. I’m sure it’s one of many things I haven’t configured correctly, hehe.

Thanks again for your help, people. I appreciate your time.

Well, I’m thrilled to say I got it working! Thanks for pointing me in the direction of headphones / control room. I was able to get the phones sending me the preview, and then after screwing around with my VST connections for the eleventy-billionth time, I got the monitors playing the preview as well.

Due to a hardware snafu on my end I’m not 100% sure what I did to get things working, but it was probably bus related stupidity combined with control room settings.

Thanks to you guys for your time stopping by my thread to help out a new guy with some basic silliness. This place has been such a great source of info, this is the only problem I’ve had to post on since I started learning Cubase a while back.

Thanks again!