Print issues with right-to-left languages text

Dorico manages to display right-to-left languages inside the software:
This text reads correctly: סצנת מריבה
However after printing it looks like this:

(All letters are reversed)

This is even worse for lyrics:
How it should look:
How it looks after printing:

I believe this is a bug, but until fixing - if anyone knows of a workaround for this issue I’ll be happy to know about it.

Dorico does not currently support right-to-left scripts, I’m afraid. The application relies upon the underlying Qt application framework for text and font handling, and due to the differences between the technologies used for rendering on-screen and rendering to a PDF, there can be inconsistencies and problems, as you have found.

At the present time I do not anticipate that we will be able to spend our limited development resources on fixing the Qt framework to address these issues, but we hope that the Qt developers themselves will address these issues, and so as we update to later versions of the framework, we will benefit from their fixes in these areas in Dorico.

1 Like

Hey, I just found a workaround.
Apparently if you choose “Graphics” instead of “Printer” the export to PDF works perfectly well with right to left languages.

1 Like

Yes, this is in fact the correct way to create PDFs for a few other minor reasons as well.

2 Likes

For Arabic (left-to right language) it looks correct in both Dorico app and PDF printouts:

PDF:

1 Like

As I said it looks OK if you export with the graphics option. The problem is when printing directly from Dorico.

1 Like

Oh! I see, I misread your thread.

1 Like