Print Mode Stalls

Hi, I’ve been having a problem with Dorico regularly stalling when I switch to print mode. Sometimes it’s immediately, sometimes it’s after I try to change a setting for my export. It’s usually a fairly brief stall, but the amount of exporting I do makes this rather inconvenient. Would greatly appreciate a solution to this problem. Thanks!

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (533.8 KB)

When you switch to Print mode, Dorico has to calculate the layout that is chosen in the Layouts panel on the left-hand side. Depending on the size and complexity of the layout and the speed of your computer that can take anything from a fraction of a second to quite a few seconds. There’s nothing to be done about that, I’m afraid: the layout takes time to calculate in order to display the print preview.

Ok, thanks for the response. I wondered if that might be the case, but I never had this problem until recently. It used to load quickly without any stalling, but now the application says “not responding” for a little bit each time. I’m using the same device as before, and the layouts aren’t any more complex. That said, I realize the answer is still likely that there’s nothing you can do.

Have you recently changed your printers, or disconnected a network printer, or changed network topology such that a printer your computer thinks should be available is no longer available, or added any software printers (PDF or fax drivers, or the like)?

I did recently change printers, but I’m pretty sure the stalling started before that.

It would be worth checking that you don’t have any stale printers set up in Control Panel that Dorico could still be looking for, especially network-attached printers.

That doesn’t seem to have improved the stalling, but thanks just the same for your help!

I’ve been dealing with this problem again lately. I did end up having noticeable improvement shortly after I removed the stale printer several months ago, but now I am frequently getting the “not responding” error when I switch to print mode. In the last 20 minutes, Dorico has crashed twice in print mode. I’m currently working with single-flow projects with only two players. I certainly don’t mean to be exasperating in asking the same question again, but I’m just wondering if there’s maybe something more going on here. Thanks.

The only crash logs contained within the diagnostics are from the VST audio engine, rather than from Dorico, and they appear to be caused by NotePerformer. You might want to send the .dmp files contained within the archive to the good people at Wallander Instruments to see if they have any idea why NotePerformer is crashing on your system.

However, this doesn’t really explain what might be going on for you when you switch to Print mode. Perhaps that’s a coincidence, and really what’s happening is that NotePerformer is bringing down the audio engine, which means that Dorico will eventually hang when it then tries to auto-save and is unable to save any data from the audio engine, and that happens to be happening around the time you switch to Print mode?

Thanks for your help! I’m in communication with the folks at Wallander Instruments. Switching to print mode has been going pretty smoothly the past few days… I’m not sure what the reason is behind the inconsistency, but I’m thankful for a bit of smooth sailing!

I’m still having this problem, though somewhat inconsistently… the Wallander Instruments tech support said they suspect NotePerformer isn’t causing the issue here and basically referred me back to you all.

Can you print if you set the Playback Template to Silence?

Next time you encounter the problem, immediately do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach the zip file here, along with a note of the time at which this happened.

I just had the problem again at 12:41. This was a milder instance—it only said “Not Responding” for a little while after I switched to print mode and didn’t crash.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (544.1 KB)

In case this is also helpful… it just happened again at 2:34 (EST). No crash this time either, yay.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (602.6 KB)

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (2.2 MB)
Greeetings from Brazil.

In my case, if the networked printer is offline, when I move on to Print Mode, Dorico hangs for some seconds, and the system displays the “not responding message” on Windows 10.

After some time, Dorico displays the print mode correctly. In other words, if I forget to turn on the networked printer, the system hangs when I change to “Print mode”.

Just for a comparison, I did the same test on Microsoft Word, and the system searches for the printer. After some time, it displays the message that word was not able to find the networked printer (without crashing or hanging).

I forgot to mention that the problem occurred at 6:48 pm (BRT - UTC -3)

Regards,
Bruno Marques.

I forgot to mention that the problem occurred at 6:48 pm (BRT - UTC -3)

Thanks for your diagnostics, Bruno. This is behaving as I would expect, unfortunately: if your computer has a network printer set up, Dorico will try to contact it when you switch to Print mode, and until that attempt times out, the app will be unresponsive.

Thanks for your answer. :grinning: