Print & PDF export generating different results

Iowan is a font that comes with Dorico. I am using default font weights (bold, black italic, etc.). I’m not doing any weird things with the font.

The destination document and Dorico document are the same sizes, which is also a supported size by my printer. I fail to see how these are not bugs when I see one thing, hit export, and see another afterwards.

Fortunately, AP allows me to edit things when I double click on them, but it is a mighty fine pain in the butt when I already tweaked things to perfection before export.

I’m having some luck editing PDFs but I must now beg the question: if SVGs are so unreliable (apparently) why are they even supported? (Honestly trying to understand what’s going on.). I don’t blame AP’s poor rendering engine on Dorico, to be clear. But this is indeed frustrating.

I don’t think so. I don’t have in on my Windows PC. It is a system font on MacOS and iOS.

Iowan is not a font that comes with Dorico.

SVG is useful for some purposes, but it’s not in general useful for importing into a publishing or illustration program. It’s primarily useful for displaying music in a web browser, but even that is not perfect because it doesn’t currently embed fonts, which it would ideally do.

It could be that what you’re seeing are not real bold and italic typefaces, but rather distortions rendered ad hoc by the typographic engine – which don’t export correctly. (Not to mention that SVGs are not trust-worthy when it comes to rendering fonts, anyway…)