Print several flutes together

Hello. I am lost.
I spent an hour on the notice and forum and cannot find the answer to my need.

My flutist, for example, is playing different flutes. Each one has a layer.
I don’t know how to print the three layers together ?
Same with percussions, jumping from tambourin layer to cymbal, etc. They must be printed on several staffs as a global percussion part.

How can I print them together please. I’m in trouble.
Thank you very much.

In Setup mode, right panel, select the flute layout (let’s say, the first one).
Now thick all the flute players you have in the left panel. This is one workflow.

Second workflow: open your flutist players’ cards, so that they reveal the instrument held. From what I understand, each player has one different flute. In reality, you have one player that plays all those instruments. Grab an instrument card (click and drag with the mouse) and drop it into your first Flute player. You’ll see how the instrument is now held by that player. Repeat the operation with the other flutes, until you have one flute player with plenty of flutes, and many empty-handed players below. You can now safely delete those players. The Layout on the right will show all those instruments.

Hope it helps!

1 Like

Thank you Marc. It starts great but you lost me on the “flutist players’s cards”. I can’t find anything by that name so I don’t see what you mean. Please explain.

Stephane, the “player cards” are the little players panels, which you will see in Setup Mode in the left panel.

Setup Mode:
Left Panel: Players
Right Panel: Layouts
Bottom Panel: Flows

multiInstruments

3 Likes

Thank you KB,
The trouble I get when I give one player the three flutes, is that dorico creates new flutes.
Meaning
I have one player for flute, one player for piccolo, one player for Irish flute.
If I take player flute and give him piccolo and Irish, then dorico create, Piccolo 2, Irish 2, which are not the ones uses in the flows.

Just to be sure, are you dragging the instrument into the other player’s panel, or are you dragging the player itself?

Amazing! Thank you very much! But…
Then it creates a new problem.
I have the three flutes staffs in all flows.
I do I select which one should show in a flow when they are all the same player, please?

Enable instrument changes (I think it’s on by default — it’s in Layout options>Players>Instruments changes). If you’re in Write mode Galley view, you’ll see all the staves (so that you can write the music anywhere you need). As soon as you use Write mode Page view (or Engrave mode), you’ll see Dorico do its magic. It will only display more than one staff if your player is playing those instruments at the same time!

2 Likes

Wahoo, this is fantastic! I don’t know how you guys learned all this. This is great stuff. Thank you a lot for your time.

If I can use this opportunity to ask one more question, please?
I am also having dorico to write numbers on the flows automatically.
I managed to get rid of it and still see the flow titlle in the full score.
But with the same page set up, it doesn’t work with parts. It’s either doricos number up front or no tittle at all.
I don’t understand why it works with full score and not with parts.

Would you know this, please, and a way to have tittles without automatic numbers for parts too?
Thank you.

No problem!
In Engrave mode (providing you’re using Dorico Pro), you can edit the flow headings exactly the same way you can edit page templates. Double click the flow headings on the right panel of Engrave mode below the Page templates section.
There, delete the “offending” token {@flownumber@}. Note that you need to do that both for Full score and for a part (it will affect all parts). That’s because Full score and Parts use different sets of page templates and you might want to use different flow headings too.
Welcome to Dorico and to the forum, don’t wait an hour next time you find yourself stuck!

2 Likes

Thank you Marc.
Both for your welcome and solutions.
I often fear to ask silly questions, but you are very nice people with incredible knowledge.
Thank you a lot and have a great day!
Stef, from Paris, France.

1 Like

Si vous le souhaitez (et que vous utilisez Facebook) vous pouvez également rejoindre le groupe des utilisateurs francophones de Dorico que j’ai créé il y a plus de six ans, dans le but d’aider (en français) les utilisateurs, et de partager autour de ce merveilleux logiciel. :wink:
Marc (qui a vécu longtemps à Paris)

1 Like
  1. The 10,000-hour rule.
  2. Reading almost every message here.
  3. Learning to use the manual (even long-time users have to sometimes).
  4. Experimenting with test projects to try stuff out.
  5. Asking for help here (One never manages to learn everything, but inevitably someone else has encountered the same situation before.)
4 Likes