Printing all flows

With the default Note Spacing of 4 spaces, I get 3 bars to a system for Prelude 1.
I see that the first system usually gets 2 bars, so 1 break should cover it. Job done.

Note I’ve used another Note Spacing Change of 2 spaces to bring in the final bar.

You might want some taller top and bottom margins. Obviously, things like the Staff Size and side margins will affect what spacing values you need. You may even be able to avoid needing Frame Breaks with a suitable System-to-System gap.

Prelude 3 wants 8 bars per system. A spacing value of 3 and 3/4 broadly works for me, with a couple of breaks as shown.

This took less than 3 mins: you’re looking at a few hours’ work for the whole book.

6 Likes

It doesn’t assume that Dorico is better than experienced human engravers (though it is better than all inexperienced human engravers!). It follows many of the same procedures followed by human engravers, to the extent that they can be modelled algorithmically in a practical way.

The mistake you’re making is that you believe you have to be completely prescriptive to get the results you want. You don’t. You believe you need to tie Dorico’s hands to get it to produce casting off that matches the choices made by experienced human engravers. You don’t. Set up the parameters for the rhythmic spacing suitably for the music you are setting, and the automatic results will get you almost all of the way there. For the remaining 5% of cases, simply add some system breaks.

This is definitely a situation where Dorico can save you a huge amount of labour, provided you know how to work effectively with the tools it provides.

5 Likes

@dspreadbury I’m learning every day!

So say we all!

1 Like