Printing Booklets

:joy:

If you really canā€™t get Dorico to make a booklet as you want it, then just export a paged PDF and use one of the many booklet-making apps or software scripts. Youā€™re on MacOS, so you could even save the PDF to a folder with a Folder Action, so that a booklet is automatically made as soon as it is saved.

Iā€™ve written a bunch of python scripts for MacOS which do many PDF things, including make booklets. They are mostly configured for use as Automator Services and Workflows. Thereā€™s also scripts for adding index numbers to Parts, adding page numbers, etc.

Iā€™ve merged this topic with the previous one. I will try to look at this today once I am caught up on some other things.

Sorry, didnā€™t mean to breach etiquette. Itā€™s been 5 days of total silence since I posted, so I assumed I might have been mistaken in adding to this rather old thread; quite happy to wait if this is incorrect (as turns out to be the case).

And yes, of course I can print a booklet pdf via some other programme, but Iā€™m trying to establish whether (or where) thereā€™s a problem with this one.

Sorry again for crossed threads (in both senses).

Iā€™ve just tested this out here, and it all works fine. The order of the pages shown in the print preview shows the correct order that will be printed. The first set is printed as:

12-9
14-7
16-5
18-3
20-1

You then turn this whole stack over, so that they are reversed, and then it prints:

10-11
8-13
6-15
4-17
2-19

This produces the correct result. What kind of printer do you have?

Epson 2100 A3, printing landscape - manual duplex.

Yes, your page order is exactly what I get. And if you print from it, the resulting A4 pages are all correctly sorted per A3 sheet. The resulting A3 stack, however, is reversed, and needs to be re-sorted by hand (Iā€™ve just tried it again, physically, to make sure).

If it was printed in the order

20-1, 18-3, 16-5, 14-7, 12-9 [turn over] 2-19, 4-17, 6-15, 8-13, 10-11

then it ends up with the A3 sheets in the correct order and doesnā€™t need re-sorting.

In order to end up with page 1 (+ last page) on the outside, it has to be printed first.

Am I missing something obvious?

I guess one of us must be missing something obvious, but Iā€™m not sure what! Perhaps itā€™s because of the paper path of your printer. On the printer Iā€™m using, the first set of pages comes out face down, and I simply flip the whole stack so that the existing pages of music are face up, put it back in the printer, and everything comes out as expected. Does the music come out face up or face down for the first set of pages?

Ah, thereā€™s the problem.

Pages come out of my printer print-side up (every printer Iā€™ve ever had has been like this; itā€™s common).

If they came out print-side down, the current arrangement would work.

Can we have a setting for this in the Print page sometime, please? A simple reverse button would do.

Yes, OK: weā€™ll look at adding an option to reverse the order of the outward pages. Glad weā€™ve got to the bottom of it, at least!

Glad to have shown the problem wasnā€™t illusory. Weā€™re both guilty of assuming everything else is like the printer weā€™re used to!

A reversal button is going to be useful also to people printing single-sided stacks of A4 etc etc on print-side-up printers (all Epsons, several others). Itā€™s possible the MacOS print dialogue will work here, but you canā€™t return to Dorico from there without cancelling and itā€™s not intuitive what the priorities/interactions are going to be.

[Tiny, tiny detail suggestion: could the duplex ā€œturn 'em over nowā€ message pop up after the right number of pages, rather than immediately? Itā€™s OK once you understand it, but Iā€™ve seen people get very confused. Plenty of higher priorities than this of courseā€¦]

Dorico has become a splendid programme and a pleasure to work with (but you donā€™t need me to tell you that).

Unfortunately we just kick off the print job and donā€™t get any notification of when the pages are printed, so we have to pop that message up right away. Iā€™ve implemented the ā€œreverse orderā€ option since I posted this morning, so (pending QA) this will be in the next update when it comes.

Superb. Thank you!