privileged helper has wrong version

Yeah, I tried earlier versions per previous comments in this thread (before I posted) but 3.0.23 didn’t work either - same error message

Hi,

Sorry for my english, I’m french !
As everybody in this forum I use Cubase since a long time ago, I’m an official Steinberg trainer and I had the same problem as you.
My issu :
I tried as everybody to reinstall Steinberg Library Manager, version 3.0.23. The first time it didn’t work. So I verified the Library manager version : It still was 3.0.25. So, I uninstalled manually this Library manager and after (without restart or anything else), I tried to reinstall Cubase 10.5 : It worked perfectly !
So, be sure, even if you reinstall Steinberg Media Library, to have the good Library Manager version !

Hope it will help you !

Loic Lacroix
(Work on Imac OS 10.14.6 / Mojave)

I’ve been a user of Cubase since around version 4. I’ve had 9.5 until yesterday when I bought the upgrade to 10.5. For that, its recommended in their documentation to just download 10.5.12 and start from there. Did that, ran in to this privileged helper issue. Tried throwing the library manager 3.0.25 in the trash, installing 3.0.23, reinstalling, didnt work. Did that a few times, with other variations as well, such as deleting the .plist files mentioned earlier. No luck

Installed 10.0 and didnt have any issues. Upgraded to 10.5.12, same problems, even also swapping library manager versions.

Its disappointing to pay for something and not be able to use it when you expect to, so that stinks, but overall, as a technologist, I’m curious of the issues.

My current endeavor is to download 10.5 from November 2019 and see if that one works. If so, I’ll stay put and not pursue 10.5.12. Still 20GB to download so we’ll see.

Hi All,

Looks like the reason for the „privileged helper has wrong version“ problem is that the macOS feature SIP (system integrity protection) is disabled. Please have a look here how to enable it:

https://macreports.com/how-to-disable-and-enable-system-integrity-protection-on-mac/

To disable SIP is not recommended. Please also note that you do it on your own risk and old, cracked or otherwise manipulated software could be affected in some way.

Cheers,

Jan

I’m sorry but I’m not buying that. SIP simply prevents you from accessing certain parts of the OS. Simply turning it off could not possibly get in the way of this issue. Disabling it gives you MORE control, not less.

Further, (and as extra evidence) I have SIP enabled on two Macs and disabled on a third Mac. I have had exactly the same problem with all three Macs, so that eliminates SIP.

However, regressing back to the previous version of the library manager did fix the problem. The only reason I thought that that hadn’t worked was because the first time I installed the earlier version, the newer version was not removed. Once I removed the newer .25 version completely and installed the .23 version, it worked perfectly fine. There is something wrong with the .25 version.

Considering this same thing happens on my MacBook Pro and my Mac Pro with default installs of Mojave … can you think of a reason why that setting might be disabled by default when it requires such a specific procedure to enable/disable it?

gigperformer, you are the hero! I uninstalled .25 and installed .23 from here https://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id=14708&L=1
and now the SLM works fine. Thanks a lot! Its a bit weird Steinberg people cannot recommend this.
I also have SIP disabled.

However, regressing back to the previous version of the library manager did fix the problem. The only reason I thought that that hadn’t worked was because the first time I installed the earlier version, the newer version was not removed. Once I removed the newer .25 version completely and installed the .23 version, it worked perfectly fine. There is something wrong with the .25 version.

It wouldn’t be disabled unless you disabled it. You can check by typing “csrutil status” in Terminal.

I also agree with gigperformer. Why is this only a problem with Steinberg Library Manager and not with any other application under the sun? Some of us want or need sip to be disabled. Rather than tell us to change our systems to suit one funky installation (that has infected 3 out of 4 of my latest updates), Steinberg should be working to insure its installers just work, like every other installer on the planet. All of my apps are fully paid for, including my many Steinberg products. Please make your installers work again, Steinberg, rather than making excuses, because we shouldn’t have to wrangle and extract, and wonder if we missed something, to install your products.

New cubase user here moving over from Logic - just downloaded the Full Pro 10.5 version from the download assistant and ran the installer there - Every single piece of step of content gave me this popup and zero factory content was installed - Cubase is running and my library manager is completely empty. I have tried using the above mentioned method running the older Library Manager, but it doesn’t seem to work for the entire Cubase Content, as it is not a separate library found in the download manager… Not off to a good start here, Steinberg :confused:

Very strange - it’s disabled in two of my machines despite them being clean installs with nothing else in them.

Hmm. That is strange. There are a couple of apps I have encountered that modify the system interface that require you to disable sip “csrutil disable” to install (cdock, for instance, which I abandoned after upgrading to Mohave). Maybe you forgot? Anyway, you might know, it’s easy enough to reenable - just reboot into Recovery and type “csrutil enable” into terminal. Just be careful that you haven’t installed anything that requires you to leave it off, like Mohave Patcher for older macs.

This may be the reason I had the same issue on my Mac. I used Dosdudes Mojave patcher on my late 2009 iMac. Thanks for this info :wink:

Yes, but you shouldn’t have to reenable SIP to be able to use this tool. Disabling SIP gives MORE access to the core OS

For some odd reason SIP was disabled on my iMac. I enabled it using the instructions provided and looks like it fixed the problem. Finally some progress!

Some of us are software developers – we need SIP disabled for some of the things we need to do including systems level debugging, access to /usr and other such things. If the Steinberg licensing system depends on SIP being enabled, that’s just downright nasty.

You’re welcome. Glad it’s working for you. :slight_smile: Long live perfectly good hardware!

Maybe there’s some brotherhood among software developers if not so much for customers. Lord knows we have enough remote interests trying to manhandle our systems already.

3.0.27 of the Library Manager seems to work for me here (very recent version).

All this time trying to install libraries of products I’d bought could’ve been a lot easier.

So this will work even with SIP disabled?

3.0.27 works with SIP disabled here. Thank you Steinberg! Thanks for the heads up jamesn81 and thanks to everyone who struggled with this until it was fixed.

Its not reasonable to force us to turn on SIP. I have some software that requires it to be off. Its my choice to turn off. Please don’t make us turn it on.