Pro 11 Forgets VST2 Path Settings--Why?

I have just installed cubase pro 11 update from artist 10.5 in windows 10. When I open an existing project it does not recognize my NI plugins, which installed to a unique directory. No problem, I go to VST Plugins Manager and enter the paths for the NI plugins and instruments (these are 64 bit plugins). When scanned, the NI plugins show up in VST Manager, as expected. HOWEVER, when I save/close the project file and open it again–cubase once again cannot find the plugins because the Path Settings I just entered are now missing from the VST Plugins Manager. This can’t be right… When I installed 10.5 Artist a few months ago, I had to go through this procedure, but only once. I should only have to enter the paths once again with the upgrade to 11 Pro, no? But the paths do not persist. Pls help!

Sooo… here’s the secret procedure for making this work:
First, open a NEW blank project in Cubase 11–DO NOT open an existing project that was saved in an earlier version.
Then, open VST Manager with the cog icon; open the VST2 Plugin Paths list and add the proper paths to your VST Manager.
Then, make a VST track with a VST instrument from one of the paths you added, and drop a plugin from one of the paths you added into an insert.
Save the project. (I called it “test project”)
Quit Cubase. Then open one of your old projects in Cubase 11. Cubase will now remember the folders you told it to scan, find the instruments and plugins, and insert them properly into the project. Be sure to save the existing project in Cubase 11.
Cubase 11 seems to remember these locations now.