Pro 11 logical editor

I want to use the project or midi logic editor ( or other feature that I may not yet be aware of) to send a different midi note on each beat. I assume that I use the position function and perhaps PPQ? Any help is appreciated.
thanka

Well the LE & PLE probably are not what you want to use, depending on what you are trying to achieve. They are limited to manipulating existing Events and Parts but not generating new ones - which it sounds like is what you are trying to do.

Can you describe specificity what are you starting with and what you want to end up with when finished? Most likely there is a way to get there, but it kinda helps to understand what “there” means.

Hi,

Logical Editor can Insert or Insert Exclusive as Function. :wink:

@Glenn_Abernathy , could you be more specific, please?

Thanks for the input. Based on the information that you provided that the logical editor can manipulate elements and not generate new ones, I changed my approach.
My objective is to output a MIDI note (G#1, A1, A#1, etc.) on the beat or bar (1.1.1.0, 2.1.1.0, 3.1.1.0, etc). Each note will trigger a scene in my lighting system. Different note, different scene. This will result in my lighting system being in sync with my music. The problem is that there is too much music to set it up bar by bar.
My current approach is to use the MIDI list editor to set up a midi track that will be a template that I can import into other songs.
The new problem is that all of the notes that I inserted in the list editor entered as white rather than red. They will send if I click them individually with my mouse bit do not play with the track. Can I change them so that they will play? Is there an easier way to accomplish my goal? thanks

Hi,

This means, you are inserting the notes out of the MIDI Part borders. Either extend the MIDI Part or use a MIDI Part, which exists in the given Bar.

Do I understand you right, you want to make it chromatic? Do you know, you can draw a lines of Notes in the Key and Drum Editor?

I’m assuming (like Martin asked) that your notes increase chromatically & that matches the scene numbers - i.e. C1 = Scene 1, C#1 = Scene 2, D1 = Scene 3 etc.

If that is the case I think you can quickly do this by hand using copy and paste and the magic of geometric growth (just like omicron).

1. Create a 12 bar MIDI Part and enter the Notes for Scenes 1 through 12
  2. Duplicate the MIDI Part
  3. Select the 2nd Part and in the Info Line set its Transpose value to 12
  4. Glue the 2 parts together and you now have 24 Scenes
  5. Duplicate this MIDI Part
  6. Select the 2nd Part and in the Info Line set its Transpose value to 24
  7. Glue the 2 parts together and you now have 48 Scenes
  8. Repeat again for 96 Scenes
  9. Repeat again for more notes that MIDI supports.

You might also consider using a Drum Map on the MIDI Track, this would allow you to name the Scenes if that’s useful.

Yes, thanks. It isn’t chromatic. The notes translate to control functions.

So at some point you need to set the specific values that trigger the desired control function(s) on each Note?

If you started off with a few hundred bars of C3 notes(super easy to get), and then changed the individual settings - does that help you out? If there is a pattern to the settings then potentially the Logical Editor might be useful. Can you show us an example of what you want to end up with - including how the MIDI value translates into the control function.

Here’s a kind of left field idea. If you have a copy of Cubase 10.5 (or any reasonably recent version) it will run quite happily alongside Cubase 11. Would it help to separate the music onto C11 and lighting onto C10.5.

“This means, you are inserting the notes out of the MIDI Part borders. Either extend the MIDI Part or use a MIDI Part, which exists in the given Bar.” I think that you are correct. How do I extend the midi part (I’m still new to cubase)?

thanks Raino. If I cane extend the midi part, I will try your technique. I’ve already set up 600 bars using the list editor.

Grab the lower right corner of the MIDI Part and drag to change the length. FYI grabbing the middle of the right edge lets you drag to make copies of the Part. Hovering over the right edge of the Part will make the controls visible.

Raino, I used your approach: “If that is the case I think you can quickly do this by hand using copy and paste and the magic of geometric growth (just like omicron).” and it worked fine. thanks for taking the time and for a good solution!