Pro Tools - User interface questions

Okay, as a long time user and lover of Nuendo, I recently acquired Protools 9. Being a post audio person in L.A. is very difficult if you’re primarily a Nuendo guy. With PT’s price drop and hardware easements, I figured it was time to stop cutting off my nose.

OKAY, questions for any of you…

1. Is there really no way to organize sound clips and files beyond dumping them in the regions window?
  2. Do you actually have to drag a file onto a track in the edit window before you can fine tune in and outs and make regions?
  3. Is “razoring” a clip really as cludgy as select regions then click cmd-e?
  4. is the “smarttool” really the best way of doing things?
  5. Is there really no eqivalent of the Sample Editor?
  6. Is there no equivalent of the Automation Panel?
  7. Is zooming in and out really that lame as compared to Nuendo?

I have tons more questions, but I guess I’ll stop there…

I know I shouldn’t necessarily ask these questions in a Nuendo forum (or expect answers)… but thus far, I am stunned by how underwhelmed I am by PT9.

1. Is there really no way to organize sound clips and files beyond dumping them in the regions window?
  2. Do you actually have to drag a file onto a track in the edit window before you can fine tune in and outs and make regions?
  3. Is “razoring” a clip really as cludgy as select regions then click cmd-e?
  4. is the “smarttool” really the best way of doing things?
  5. Is there really no eqivalent of the Sample Editor?
  6. Is there no equivalent of the Automation Panel?
  7. Is zooming in and out really that lame as compared to Nuendo?
  1. No. Try the features of the “Workspace” window. Very under-utilized.
  2. Yes that’s the easiest way. Hit Ctrl “Enter” which will take you to the end of any playlist and do it there.
  3. No not really. Click “B” instead, that’s easier. Use the up and down arrows to grab in and out points in real-time. There are a bunch more hot keys to use. Start with “A” and “S”.
  4. Some of my friends use the Smart Tool. I despise it.
  5. No.
  6. No not really. There is as Automation window but it is limited compared to N5. Use hot keys to see all the automation used on the tracks. start with the"-" key to see level automation on a track.
  7. You can pre-program zoom levels assiged to the 1,2,3,4, and 5 keys. I use the “E” key the most. Select a region or a clip first and hit “E”.

The learning curve for PT is huge and very hard by yourself. I learn/teach something about PT to every Engineer I know.

PT is great for certain things (watch out for Cubase/N6 maybe that gap is closing) but not great at everything. If a half hour TV show takes me 8 hours to mix in PT I can mix it in 6 hours in Nuendo but nothing touches PT for tracking (yet).

I was about to write more or less the same answer as John. It’s always a little culture-shock when coming to a PT-based studio after working with Nuendo on a previous project. It’s like having two left hands.

The most important thing is to learn all those hidden key commands - what a shame that they aren’t user definable like in Nuendo. With shortcuts PT feels a bit more comfortable than without, but still not on par with modern applications.