Pro Tools vs Nuendo

Yes, that won’t work for me, so I’m looking forward to the new version.

DG

Now we are talking :smiley:

PS. Will we have a pre-glance at this in Cubase 8, or will this be a Nuendo only feature?

I got Pro Tools 11 native. Alot of times when talking to potential clients, they ask if I have Pro Tools.
Now I can say yes! Let’s face it, Avid’s got that name brand reconition going for them.
Anyone who’s ever passed out in the back alley of a recording studio knows the term Pro Tools.
if a client comes over to check out the studio, I tell them I use the Spanish version of Pro Tools.
It’s called N-U-E-N-D-O :mrgreen:

Whenever someone asls me “is this Protools you are working on?”, my reply is always: “Yeah, the professional version”.
:slight_smile:

Fredo

This would be awesome! This is the only thing I am missing in Nuendo since a very long time.

Oh - what I like in PT is the way how the “mixer” is integrated in the left side of the project window… Yes we have the inspector… but the inspector just shows me ONE channel… and then only ONE thing… inserts… OR sends… OR…

I would like to have some kind of a “mixer light” on the left side of the project window… With my 8 inserts and my 8 sends… configurable… so if I want: 2 rows of 4 inserts, 2 rows of 4 sends… or whatever I need… But usually this is what I need most when mixing… Barely use the “channel strip stuff” maybe even a small area for that would be fine - when you have a large screen you can enable all this in the config…

THIS and the Session data thing … and then NO update anymore - only bug fixes :wink:

Have to add:

With those elements of the mixer integrated in the project window I would be able to mix WAY faster… in reality I am often “switching” between some elements in the project window - and then I need to adjust something - so I have to swap to the mixer… so it is basically a “back and forth” thing… when I am at the Mixer I can not see the project window - at least not without going to another screen or something like that.

Basic mixer stuff integrated in the project window would enable me to stay 80% of the time in the project window…

+1

The Anymix Pro panner/up-mix sounds great. And I find the automation in PT HD11 Jurassic in comparison. Marking, moving, copying automation data is still smarter in PT, but apart from that Nuendo is way better and faster to use.

Just my two cents
Fred

Brandy,
You can open multiple panels in the inspector by ctrl-clicking on them, plus you can hide unwanted panels…

How does this work? Let’s say I want to view and edit the inserts and the sends of 5 tracks at the same time. As far as I know I can only access the elements of one track - the selected one - and here the inspector “switches” between let’s say inserts and sends - I can only see one element of one track … I want to see all - embedded in the track, like track name and solo / mute buttons etc

Just ctrl-click on the send and inserts panels…that will keep both open. however this works only for one selected track

Well, thanks for that tip. But I am talking about something different though.

Check this (random via google) screeshot:

See what I mean? I can see and access the track “features” of every single track in the project window. See the track “FX Traffic”? All insers and sends are there… I have the project window stretched via 3 Screens - I would have LOTS of space in the left for displaying that stuff. Would save me a LOT of time of clicking, scrolling, switching windows, searching the track again in the mixer etc…

Seeing and accessing a LOT (all) of parameters in one shot.

This seems to be freely configurable because I can find lots of different sceen shots in the www with different layouts.

It just struck me (not really) how much info you can get from those two windows in PT. Both in the mixer and the project window, without hovering over and/or clicking, you can get a great amount of info just by swiping your eyes across the screen/screens.

I can see what Brandy wants, especially when stretching the project page across 3 screens. Then the info provided (horizontally) for each track seems to show about 80% of the regular mixer channels, if not more.

PS. For every move Steinberg does, the Pro Tools mixer looks more and more appealing :wink:

I guess some folks prefer American Chevrolets and other like the well engineered German car. I know Nuendo is a far better product. Why do we want Nuendo to be like ProTools? I actually give Steinberg credit to change things. Humans biggest down fall is to let go of the old to learn something new.

You got to be be kidding me if anyone thinks PT has more information in its mixer and Edit window, I like it that I can see all my EQ graphs across all tracks, see what resets are loaded on each plug in, etc etc

I’ll take the German Car thank you very much! :sunglasses:

That’s exactly what I am talking about. I can not work in PT, it is just “not mine”. But these 4 features (since we have beat detective style editing only these 4) I miss very hard! Nuendo would be perfect with features like these.

The comment regarding Chevrolets and German cars does not make any sence to me - nobody wants Nuendo to be like PT, but it would be AWESOME if Nuendo could have some features which are actually better in PT. Sorry to say that. This is not a Nuendo critique - it is meant as a suggestion.

and yes - that is exactly what I meant. I am used now to the new Nuendo Mixer and GUI wise I am fine but still too much clicky clicky - and when I look at that PT project page I would be able to stay 80% of the time in the project window - usually during mixing it is (for me, here) not like in old days - sitting on a mixing desk… ballancing the whole thing…

80% of the time I spend with adjusting elements… lets have that short leadguitar/speach/instrument in the second prechorus… you just did some editing to the event in the project - maybe a fade out… then you want to adjust something… a plugin, a send… you can switch to the mixer, re-locating that track… or you can use the track inspector (click click click) - but then you have ONLY that track - no way to check/adjust some other elements in that part as well, while just beeing in the “right mood”

Exactly what I miss to… And suddenly I were offered a car lesson :smiley:

Yes it would be very close to perfect.

I agree. It is suggestions as to make our fav DAW even better.
I don’t want Nuendo to be like PT (then I would have used…PT :wink: ), but rather “snatch” some things that are better in PT.
I can’t see why some people seem to be hurt when good suggestions are brought up. That makes no sense.

@Brandy - How are you handling the crosshatching event on top/overlapping look in N6.5?
I remember there was some discussions around the topic when N5 were released (I’ve been, for the most part, on Cubase 6.5 since then).
And editing, start/end of events were hidden behind other events after editing/moving. Is this behaviour fixed/changed?

Mh well, I have to say I am “that” used to it in the meantime that I can just not tell ATM - closed Nuendo 6.5 after a 13h recording session one hour ago… :wink: I do not have a clue how it looks because I stopped taking care about that long time ago…

And I am using lanes in combination with grouped folder tracks to handle 90% of the recorded audio - so I do not have to deal with crosshatched overlaps much, I “watch” my stuff in the lanes view mostly - and I edit / comp the events there. In the end - when I start mixing - I just delete overlaps with a keystroke and / or consolidate (to use a PT term) the shitloads of edits/snippets to solid waves. AND I usually use transparent events - here the overlaps are displayed different… just a grey mess. But well - just switch to lanes and you have a nice overview about whats going on. I do not know if PT has lanes… but if not, then PT is just poor :wink:

PT’s lane view is better than Nuendo’s but it’s a different philosophy. There are no overlapping events in PT and you can expand playlists (track versions) to lanes.

Try expanding track versions in Nuendo to lanes - not going to happen at least not without a bit of a fundamental overhaul on the overlapping audio/lanes/track versions complexity we now have.

100 %.
I don’t mind the mixer I got used to it. I wish Nuendo mixer would have EQ “knobs” view. The text/sliders are unreadable when working with the min zoom. To much information.
Knobs are easier on the eyes, example the strip parameters.
The floating fader and import session are the ones i miss the most.

I think Nuendo is better with the exception of the lack of VCAs and a proper track grouping functionality. I’ve mixed in PT for a long time now and groups especially are really essential in organizing large sessions. The lack of a good grouping functionality really slows me down in Nuendo, every single time I use it. What also baffles me is that the development of it has been soooo slow, and that what’s here is so half-baked. Without the ability to name and re-name the groups you’re forced to remember what’s what. And you can’t modify what is included in a group once it’s created. And you can’t disable some groups while leaving others activated. Etc.

There really isn’t much other than those two things that I need from this app as far as I can see. Well, that and a return to certain GUIs and functionality of old. All other things wished for are to me nice extras, gravy, but ultimately not really essential to a modern DAW.