probably a daft question but

Can you eq at the input stage, i.e. use the input channel strip to shape the sound on the way in?

Ta,
Mike

no, but you can put the Studio-EQ or any other plug-in EQ on the input channel.

In the mixer press the e button on the stereo in channel to open the input channel settings window.

Here you can add inserts or use the cubase EQ

If you see no EQ here, right click inside the window, select customize view and then select the EQ

The only difference between an input channel and a mixer channel is the input channel has no solo button :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought that eq was post input though? I think I’ve tried that before. In other words it is not printed when recorded.

Yeah, I can put an effect on the input channel but it doesnt appear to affect the signal. If I bung a Q10 on the input channel and stick a huge bass boost on it, there’s no change in sound.
So, is it possible?
Mike

I’ve honestly never tried it, but i’m relative sure you can’t.

You could always copy the channel settings of your input channel there, and paste them into the channel the audio ends up in :slight_smile:

As Megacon and Split have pointed out already it is possible. All processing done in an input channel will be printed to the recorded audio file.
If you don’ t hear a change while monitoring, you’ re probably not monitoring via Cubase…

TC,
I’m using an Cubase 6 and an emu 0404, standard template setting at 44k.
What would enable me to monitor using this system?
Thanks
Mike

… e.g. do you have “Direct Monitoring” enabled?

Vic, I’ve ticked direct monitoring and unticked it several times to no avail.
Mike

Well, you must somehow be listening directly to the (monitor) output of your EMU 0404. The inserts on Cubase’s Input channels do indeed get recorded.

When you say “it isn’t working”, have you actually tried recording something (presumably without hearing the FX), then playing it back?

Hi Vic,
Yep, just recordered a test with an eq on and it does indeed record it.
But, I want to monitor that eq as I hear it, this I am not able to do.
ta,
Mike

Couldn’t you input to a channel which has an EQ on the INSERT but then route the output of that channel to a GROUP (mono) channel and record/monitor the GROUP channel (while making the EQ changes on the input channel)?

Is there a reason why you want to record the EQ? I would rather be less destructive and record the best signal possible without alterations and then when mixing make my changes, be it effects and/or EQ. You are boxing yourself in a corner IMO.

Lol, you lost me there mate.
I think I tried what you said (didnt work) could you explain it step by step…
Ta,
Mike

What exactly didn’t work?

1. Go into your VST connections and add a mono GROUP channel.
  2. On the original INPUT channel (with EQ on INSERT) output to GROUP 1 (instead of Stereo)
  3. Go to your Group Channel and output to Stereo and monitor/record that channel (enable INPUT monitor).

If my logic is correct, the eq changes in the input channel should be heard and recorded on the group channel. Not sure if I left a step out because I am doing from my head or if this is even best practice. Just a thought.

1.If you don´t monitor your audio channel via Cubase, then you don´t monitor any other channel via Cubase (usually), so that won´t work.

This is not a direct monitor. It is an input monitor. Direct monitor is just not what the OP wants, and apart from that, a group track does not have any monitor at all.

That is a little hard to tell. The 0404 uses patchmix DSP mixer, I guess? If so, I should have some information on how you route youtr signal through patchmix, to get a clue about your signal flow, cause with patchmix you have a lot of routing abilities even before the sound reaches Cubase.

That’s what you get for doing it from your head :slight_smile:
However i do believe this would record his EQ changes.

It does record the EQ changes anyway…

It does indeed record eq changes but does not monitor.
Vic, I tried all you said to no avail (there isnt a monitor button on the group track I created) but thanks.

TC, the routing on the emu is below:

Physically, it’s mixer out to the ins and the outs to monitors.
Ta,
Mike