Problem browsing this forum on old MacBook Pro

As of this morning, whenever I browse the Dorico forum in Safari I’m seeing this message at the top of the browser screen:

‘Unfortunately, your browser is too old to work on this site. Please upgrade your browser to view rich content, log in and reply’.

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.12.42.png

I’d be interested to know what has changed on the Steinberg forums website to cause this to happen. Could it be that Discourse is now more picky about which versions of Safari it will support.

I’m using a mid-2010 MacBook Pro running macos Sierra 10.12.6 and Safari Version 12.1.2 (12607.3.10), running the non-upgradeable version 3.5.12 of Dorico.

You could see if a different browser will work.

I’d recommend Microsoft Edge, which works on Sierra 10.12 or later. Chrome is a massive hog of RAM and CPU, so probably best avoided.

But as time marches on, you are likely to see compatibility problems with websites using the latest standards.

I run several Discourse servers. I have enquired on Meta Discourse about the current browser version supported list. I’ll get back to you.

Discourse is updated frequently - whether Steinberg follows along, or runs on a hosted platform I do not know - but naturally support for older browsers is continuously dropped,

Here is the answer from Meta Discourse, the authoritative reference on Discourse:

Our official browser support policy is the latest version of Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Edge.

Consequently a Safari of that vintage is not supported and may stop working for Discourse at any time, and can’t be expected to work across the frequent version updates. Discourse uses some very sophisticated web techniques, so try to use a current browser.

Discourse is an open source project run by volunteers so there is not a large department to support older systems.

Thanks all for suggesting alternatives to this old version of Safari.
Firefox v.98 seems to work fine with this forum.

This old Apple hardware just keeps on running (12th birthday next month) - but it’s the out-of-date software that lets it down !

I am still running Sibelius 6 (and e-mail, and a few other things) on my 2008 aluminum MacBook, under OS 10.5 Leopard, and those things still work perfectly. Of course Safari 5 is of hardly any use any more.…

For Dorico and this forum I am lucky to have a loaner 2018 MBP running Mojave 10.14. Soon it will be time to get my own new Mac. (But the longer I wait, the longer the new box will last!)

I suppose since Dorico currently supports as far back as Mojave, they wouldn’t want to update Discourse beyond that point, but that’s a guess.

1 Like

Discourse is an independent open source project, not part of Dorico. Mac OS version is unrelated - it’s purely a browser based app, and only current versions of browsers are supported, as per my post above.

More on browser support: here’s the Discourse ‘about’ page, for reference:

An extract:

1 Like

Except that Safari is a part of a MacOS installation, and new versions tend to be synced to OS version. “Latest version of Safari” essentially means “the current version of MacOS”.

1 Like