Problem (bug?) input note with fretboard?

Hello,
When entering notes through the fretboard in write mode with a “ukulele” instrument, the strings are not reflected correctly in the tablature.
exemple write a C on ist string: ok then write a G on the 2nd string(same verical fret) : not ok! written on the 4th string

I can’t reproduce that here - can I just check what Dorico version you are using?

Dorico 4.1 on windows.
It’s ok with guitar, banjo but not with ukulele. It’s ok for the first string but if you click on the second string and try to input notes chramaticly from left to right suddenly the result in real time in the TAB is not reflected right and the string is no more the same.
idem for string 3 and 4.

Just to make sure we’re talking about the same thing, this is what I get if I input “C” on the 1st string and then “G” on the 2nd.

(Ignore the strange background colours - that’s some internal diagnostics.)

Hi Richard,
Thanks for testing. I speak about click on fretboard like in this picture try to click chromatically from left to right on 2nd, 3rd and 4th string and you will see the result in TAB when the caret move:

[Google Translate]
Edit of my pevious post:
Strange now it also does me with the guitar and the banjo whereas before no? maybe then just a limitation and the intelligent automatic algorithm of placing the notes is not bypassed by mouse clicks? : It would have been really good and a terrible time saver to use this fretboard which unfortunately if it is a limitation is not of much use to me. because after you still have to change the choice of strings manually.

Can’t find where I can choose between the automatic algorithm and when mouse priority like in these exemples:
Mouse
guitar_no_bug
Algorithm:
guitar_bug

I am afraid I still can’t reproduce the problem - if I open the onscreen fretboard, and I mouse-click on the 3rd fret on the 2nd string in the fretboard window, then the note I input is also on the 2nd string of the tablature in the score. I can only get the results shown in your “Mouse” example, not the results shown in your “Algorithm” example.

I assume that something you are doing during note input is causing Dorico to go wrong and “forget” to use the correct string, but I don’t know what is triggering the bug.

Hi Richard
Thanks for trying
I’ll post tomorrow the two project.
One created from template ´guitar’ at opening of Dorico and a second with create new and choses add solo.
Best regards

to reproduce:
Here are two dorico projects with two interpretations of the fretboard input notes in write note with mouse as I explained in my recent post.
1.mouse_priority.dorico
-open Doricon

• click icon → Create New
  • click icon guitar
  • ctrl+shift+L → Player → Fretted instruments: choose Notation And tablature
  • In write mode:double click to the sheet and write notes with mouse in fretboard in bottom pannel, for example the 3rd string from left to right. You will obtain what I would like as in my mouse.gif in my previous post

2.algorithm_priority.dorico
-open Doricon

• file → new
  • Add Single Player and choose “classical guitar” standard tuning
  • ctrl+shift+L → Player → Fretted instruments: choose Notation And tablature
  • In write mode:double click to the sheet and write notes with mouse in fretboard in bottom pannel, for example the 3rd string from left to right: as soon you arrive at the fourth fret (B) the note is assign to 2nd string in the TAB. You will obtain as in algorithm.gif in previous post
    the two files:
    mouse_priority.dorico (559.8 KB)

algorithm_priority.dorico (526.4 KB)

Thanks for this - I can see the problem now. It looks to me like the bug occurs in projects that don’t have a key signature, so for the time being adding a key signature should be a workaround. However, we’ll look into it.

1 Like

Hi Richard,
great thanks for your test and for the workaround which will save me time.