Problem forcing a rest duration

I’ve followed the instructions in the manual to do this, but I can’t get the three quarter note rests in bar 7 to appear as a dotted half note. File attached. [Btw the 3/4 key signature and 6/4 barring are intentional, I’m following an 18th century hand written manuscript.
Sala_Canons_01.dorico (387.9 KB)

When I open your project, bar 7 is three quarters long and contains a dotted half note B flat. Did you upload the project you meant to?

On my screen I’ve got this

When you say you followed the instructions in the manual, are you definitely referring to the latest version?

Additionally, unless the other player needs unbroken multi-bar rests, would it be less work overall to input a [2+2+2]/4 time signature at the start of bar 2 (the 3rd full 3/4 bar) and only fix-up bars 1-2 into a double 3/4 bar, essentially? Ah, well and update the time signature with different meters for different note grouping as and when required?

That’s definitely not the version of the project that you’ve uploaded, but no matter. Try selecting the three quarter rests in bar 7 and deleting them. If need be, position the caret at the start of that group of quarter rests, hit O to enable force duration, then hit , (comma) to enable rest input, then type 7 for a half note, . for a rhythm dot, and then Y to insert the rest itself.

It seems that I wasn’t using the latest versiion, even though I did an online search. Perhaps I need to empty the cache of my browser.

I don’t really understand the next paragraph, but what I’m doing now seems to be producing the correct appearance.

Thanks for your help.

You can specify note and beam grouping as part of a time signature, e.g. [2+3+2]/8 if you want a 7/8 time signature that automatically divides into groups of 2+3+2 quavers/eighth notes. If you’re using force duration a lot to determine note grouping in your flow, you could instead use the most useful time signature (i.e. a 6/4 time signature with grouping specified if needed, because 6/4 subdivides into two groups of 3 quarter notes) and hide the time signature if necessary.

Online searches for the manual often return earlier versions - keep an eye on the number/logo in the top left of the page, or the url, you’ll be able to see the version number there. 3.5 is the latest published manual.

Ok I understand that thanks, but I don’t think I need to do that in this particular project.

And I get that now about the latest version of the manual.