Problem uploading video

Hi, here I am again. During the weekend I tried to upload videos through Dorico and the only video that has uploaded without problems so far is a video with a size of 17 Mb … I tried to compress the video of my interest up to 250 Mb at 30 Mb, but even so the video freezes. Have none of the forum users encountered similar problems? I have Windows 10 64 bit Intel I5 760 quad core and 16gb Ram. As I wrote I solved the problem working in Notion 6 where the video instead loads normally. This makes me think that it is not a problem related to my pc but a problem related to Dorico. I don’t know how many of the users also use Dorico for videos, but at the moment this problem bothers me a lot, because Dorico’s features also seem to be better than Notion for videos. I’d like to at least see if the problem can be solved. Thank you all for your cooperation. :pray:

I can play the video by itself and can load it into Dorico without causing problems to working in Dorico, but I cannot get the video window to show the video. I can see the video window as one option when I hover over the Dorico icon in the Windows Taskbar, but if I click on that preview, I get only the standard Dorico screen without the video window.

I have tried importing the video to VideoStudio and exporting it as an mp4 with a smaller screen size, but that does not change when I replace the old video format with the new in Setup.

I can hear the video voice-over, but I cannot see the video or the video window.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.9 MB)

EDIT: In case it matters, I find I can easily load and view the video file in Cubase Pro 11.

@Fabrizio_Amapane

Assuming that Dorico shares the same video engine used in some other Steinberg software (Daniel might confirm that), there is some playback issues with high resolution videos with the video engine. This is the case for the video you are trying to use.

I converted the video so as you should get smooth playback in Dorico now.
I slightly lowered its resolution, but you shouldn’t notice anything on a computer display.

Here is the link to download the video:
https://we.tl/t-nsNEAJ9Brt

Let me know if it works.

thank you very much for your effort !!! :pray: :pray: :pray: Unfortunately the video freezes at about 37 sec. It has improved compared to before but the problem persists … could it be a Dorico bug?

Ok, so it seems to be Dorico’s problem :thinking: … I see the video but only for a few seconds …

Test again the video in an empty project.

In the empty project it works …

The original file, on the other hand, does not work even with an empty project.

OK, so it confirms that the converted video works perfectly now in Dorico.
And then you probably have something in your existing project that prevents the video from playing correctly (after 37 s). Sorry I can no longer help you with this part.

The original video would have never worked as I explained, and I can confirm what you described. The new video, on the opposite, should work perfectly.

Now starting with the new video, I’ll try to write some music, what program did you use to edit the file?
Thanks again! :+1:

Premiere Pro.

Good luck!
Don’t forget, now if you win the contest, it’s fifty-fifty! :wink:

2 Likes

@Maestro , Can you give me the specs you lowered it to? It seems easier for me to covert it than to wade through WeTransfer to download it.

I do appreciate your looking into this, if only for my peace of mind (almost said “piece of mind:” it’s been a long day.)

Sure
Resolution: 1920x810px
30 fps
Bitrate: ~16 Mb/s
H.264
Profile Level 4.2

1 Like

@Fabrizio_Amapane
Please download the new file, I just corrected the aspect ratio.

:+1: of course!

So this is the typical setting to make video work properly in Dorico?

No, just the right settings for this video.

Ok, but now I’m a bit confused … in your opinion does the video capture function in Dorico work properly? Shouldn’t it be automatic? If you read the discussion, for example I had no problem with the same video using Notion 6. I didn’t have to change anything in the video format I just uploaded it. Now I tried to write a score from scratch and even with only one instrument loaded the video still slows down …

Normally you would not have to convert videos prior to using it in Dorico etc. if your video conforms to standard resolutions and frame rates and to recommendations from Steinberg.
That said, the video engine is relatively new and it is work in progress, this is why there are some shortcomings, especially with high resolutions/frame rates, which will certainly be overcome.

But, in the meantime, this is not your only problem with this video…

I went through the discussion and found out that your CPU is i5-760 (2010). I think this is your issue.
h.264 codec is very resource hungry.
The video plays back fine in Notion because Notion uses less resources when playing the video.

So the solution is to lower even further the resolution of this video in order to reduce your processor usage.

Here is a very low resolution version of the video file to test. Maybe it is enough for working on its music.

Good luck!

Thank you very much, I will download the file later. From what I understand Dorico requires more resources and it’s probably time for me to upgrade my computer, by now it is almost at the limit for certain purposes. However, I hope it was useful to bring out this problem, perhaps with some updates we could make the interaction between music and video in Dorico less “heavy”.