Problem with a very thin sound

That’s exactly the problem…the driver is no longer in the dropdown list on the devices page. It was there until recently, and it’s present as far as windows is concerned. So obviously not a problem with cables/USB etc. It’s just Cubase that’s not seeing it anymore.

Cubase uses the ASIO driver only. You need to install it.

The problem is my friend, that I’m not getting stereo in stereo out.

I’ve done a diagram to explain what I am getting.
UR22 Outputs 2.jpg

You need to make sure you are using the proper driver for the interface. Then you can configure the necessary inputs and outputs.

I understand what you are trying to accomplish, and it should not be difficult … assuming Cubase can access your hardware - which requires the correct ASIO driver to be selected and in use.

Do you have the interface connected before powering on the computer? And, more importantly, before launching Cubase?

You have actually installed the driver, correct?

UR22mkII Updates and Downloads | Steinberg

Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver Updates and Downloads | Steinberg

I downloaded the driver from Steinberg and installed it the other day. I followed the instructions, and disconnected the unit while installing the driver.

I’ve just tried reinstalling it from your link, and of course it tells me it’s already installed.

I installed the driver updates just now.

Yes I have the interface installed before I power up, and launch Cubase. Out of curiosity, I’ve also done the opposite.

The end result is always the same. Anything being input from the front, is being output left + right on both outputs as per the diagram.

Recorded sounds in Cubase are playing back correctly however, but they’re coming back to the unit via USB of course.

As misohoza suggested, I can turn the mix knob fully to daw, and turn on the monitor button in Cubase. In this case the sound is perfect, but there’s latency problem, and the unit doesn’t allow direct monitoring (the option is greyed out).

What is buffer set to in the Yamaha Steinberg asio driver control panel?

Did you try to set it to 64 or 128 samples? You will still get more latency than using direct monitoring but it may be acceptable.

I just briefly checked the manual and there is a setting for mono/stereo monitoring (in the same control panel). However it seems to be related to loopback only. Not sure about this but you can try.

I’ve consulted page 7 of the UR22 manual, and followed the instructions to access the ASIO dialogue window, and this is what I get. Though the instructions mention the Loopback settings, I couldn’t find the option.

However the problem isn’t about recording, because that’s working as it should. I presume that’s because everything is going via USB. The problem is; whatever is plugged into the front inputs isn’t coming out of the rear outputs as a stereo signal but as a double mono signal (see my previous diagram). For want of a better definition, I’d say the “wiring” seems to be wrong.

I just tried hooking up a very old unit (Steinberg MI 12). It has exactly the same controls as the UR22, and everything works perfectly (stereo in, stereo out). Of course there aren’t drivers for Windows 11, so I can’t use it…otherwise I would.

At this point couldn’t it just be that my unit is faulty?

That makes me think, you are trying to fool us.
The driver dialogue has three tabs…

So you think I’m trying to fool you st10ss?

No worries, it can and will end here. But just one last post, and for anyone who has the patience, please read on.

I have Cubase Elements 12, Windows 11, and here’s the path I’m taking to get to the Asio Dialogue. I’m clicking on the Control Panel Box.

The dialogue box that comes up is the one I posted earlier in the thread. Am I taking the wrong path? I’ll keep looking to see if there’s an alternative which I haven’t yet discovered.

But given you’ve told me what you think st10ss, I’m going to tell you what I think, I’m sure you don’t mind.

This is a long thread, but as yet no one has taken into consideration that the unit just may be faulty. I’m sure this is because everyone is eager to find a solution. I’m very thankful to all for being so willing to share their experience and knowledge. However, when you believe in a product to a great extent (and Steinberg make excellent products), it can sometimes happen that you tend to think problems are always the user’s fault.

Am I at fault right now? I really don’t know. I came here to find out, even hoping I am. Because this would mean I’ve learned something.

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago, regarding a well known make of keyboards. I was told I didn’t know how to use it, and eventually told to refrain from making certain comments. So I asked everyone to perform and experiment (regarding the poor transition of sounds) and low and behold, I was proven right.

Just for your information. I’m 65, I’ve been playing since I was 11. I’ve been in bands and duos most of my life, and I played professionally between 1992 and 2004. That was the period I first came into contact with Cubase, when I also prepared backing tracks, which I then recorded on DAT and Mini Disc.

I spent ten years using Cubeat, with a rack of expanders, a mixer, and two sound cards. I Installed the first sound card directly into the computer. The second was an external Steinberg MI 12 device, which still works perfectly. Then I went into other things, and more or less gave up music.

Somewhere around 2014, I got back into recording just for fun. I was using Cubase Ai 6 with the trusty Steinberg MI 12 sound card, and Windows XP.

Fast forward to today, and it’s Cubase Elements, UR22 MkII and Windows 11. Now these are all new to me, and things change over time. So I accept I may be doing something wrong, which as I mentioned earlier, is the reason I came here. However, I’m not a complete novice, and on the other hand, what if the unit is faulty?

Maybe everyone is getting tired of this thread, if so, I thank you all for your time, you’ve been very kind, and I really appreciate your efforts.

But given st10ss’s (silly) comment, maybe the time has come that I sort things out for myself…and I will.

Kindest regards.

@Musico56
The control panel really has 3 tabs (Steinberg UR22mkII, ASIO, About)

If you select the left tab you should see some options like sample rate setting, loopback and mix controls. Try if the mix control works even if the loopback is off.

If that doesn’t work you can set the buffer size in ASIO tab to lower value. Currently you have it set to 512 samples. Try 128 or 64. You may find that acceptable while monitoring via daw and bypassing the hardware direct monitoring.

Are you really serious?
This window (your screenshot above) has three tabs with settings…
One (the first) is named Steinberg UR22mkII, the second is named ASIO, that’s the one that opens by default, and the last tab is the About tab.

Yes wise guy, I’m really serious.

I missed it.

I’ll come to you for further lessons and how not to ever make a mistake, I’m oh so sure you never have.

Have a nice day.