Problem with Creating Expression Map entries for Muted Brass for BBC SO Pro

ok-- that’s exactly what I thought was the case that you must predefine your VEPro configuration (or make a different one for each project which rather defeats the point of a preset). My method was along the same lines as you tutorial which I did spot at the time but at that point I didn’t yet have VEPro. Thanks for making that clear, Gil

David

My sense is that those who use VEP to host their sounds for “instant access” would put all their instances into one VEP setup to load at computer startup. So, for example, one would need to add the BBCSO (or any other VST) instances onto the Iconica VEP setup so that everything loaded at once, ready for near-instantaneous use regardless of project.

That is why “pro” users of large sound sets (for feature film creation?) need huge disk support and even a separate server to host their sounds. Am I correct that this is the case?

Hello @John_at_Steinberg and colleagues,
I hope you are all doing well! :slight_smile:
@John_at_Steinberg, as you may notice from my previous comment and another topic on this
forum:

Dorico Pro has problems with hosting large templates of BBCSO Pro and Core.
Surely having a VE Pro 7 template would benefit a lot. No doubt! :slight_smile:
Sometimes I need to wait minutes to close one project and open another.
Anyway… I don’t ask you to create entire VE Pro Template. We can do it ourselves. I had asked you many times to make a short video tutorial in order to reveal the best way to handle Divisi and Double Stops (Legato) situations in a VE Pro. I appreciate your time and hard work, but you know how these things could be achieved the best! :slight_smile:
I think this topic could be revealed in 10 - 15 minutes video tutorial, if not lesser…
I would be very thankful, and probably many of us, too, if make such a video! :slight_smile:
I will repeat once again, because from your last comment here, John, I suppose your attention is going toward the VE Pro 7 Template, which is actually not the main point
There are issues which should be on your focus more:

1. Dorico is unable to host and Playback large templates (e.g BBCSO Pro Template.dorico)
  2. The most useful thing, related to VE Pro, that you could provide us is the Tutorial I was asking you many times. - Divisi (String Divisi and Soli + Gli Altri) and Double Stops (Legato). We don’t want wasting your time to create a full VE Pro Template.

In case you need some arguments why VE Pro Template will benefit far more, I will give you some :slight_smile:

1. For those who have enough memory won’t be a problem to load a full VE Pro Template
  2. Currently VE Pro reloads the VI’s much faster than Dorico. If someone needs to switch some set of instruments
  3. One could create Custom VE Pro Sets to match his/her needs, in case one doesn’t have enough memory to keep all libraries online.
  4. We are out of risk of overloading the Dorico’s engine and make the Playback and the Real-time recording unreliable.

The only benefit of hosting instruments inside Dorico is when there are involved just few additional instruments… :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz

I’m running BBCSO on VE Pro, works great. Dorico runs very quickly now, though I’m still working out how to set up the playback and endpoint configurations to switch over older projects.

For Divisi, shouldn’t we add a Divisi playback technique that links to the expression map, so that ‘natural’ sets BBCSO strings to ‘legato’ and ‘divisi’ sets it to ‘longs’? That’s likely to be the closest, though the ‘longs’ articulation has a pretty slow attack. Its only the ‘legato’ keyswitch in BBC that’s monophonic anyways, everything else lets you play double stops or polyphonically.

yes, I use legato as “natural” with the strings which is the only way to deal with the very slow attack with the longs as you’ve pointed out, unless the music will be mainly chordal and slow moving. I created a “polyphonic” p.t which comes to the same thing as “divisi” though if you want to show in the score then divisi sounds better.

How do I make the brass play back with mutes on slurred/legato notes?
Make a copy of the mutes entry, and somehow make it include legato/slur…?

yes, basically. Do a copy of the mutes long with A#-1 (or G#-1 for the trombones) and use legato+mute p.t’s.

Thanks, but how do I add more than one pt? “legato+mute…”

You can do that by using Ctrl+click (Windows) or Command-click (Mac) to select multiple playback techniques in the dialog that pops up when adding or editing a switch in the Expression Maps dialog.

2 Likes