Problem with imported MIDI file and external VSTs

Thanks for all that. I actually understood it and have re-done my little learning project to use that method.

Before I did, just want to share something really weird that happened to me–not really asking for help on this, it was just weird. I had about 14 Instrument tracks loaded, each going to a VST: some were HALion, some were SampleTank, and a couple to Kontakt. Right in the middle of playing through a test run, about half the tracks just stopped playing; the ones that stopped were all SampleTank or Kontakt tracks, but some of the tracks to those VSTs still worked. I could pull up the VST interfaces, play notes on their virtual keyboard and have the level meters on the tracks bounce, everything looked good but if I tried to play the track or use the virtual keyboard in the key editor: silence. Again, only some tracks were affected and I couldn’t find a pattern. If I deleted the project and re-imported the original MIDI file, then re-assigned some VSTs to the instrument tracks, they’d work until I saved the project and re-started Cubase; then they’d go silent again. During this time Cubase started acting oddly, taking several minutes to start up (I actually force-quit a couple of times thinking it would never start). I re-booted my Mac a couple of times and it didn’t seem to help.

Like I said, just odd.

I have the tracks in as MIDI now, and the VSTs I want set up on the Rack, and everything seems to be working just fine in that mode so I’m not going to spend a lot of time puzzling out what was happening with the Instrument tracks.

Anyway, thanks again, and I’ll definitely check out YouTube for some good tutorials!

Just following up to say that thanks to all your assistance I was able to take a test project from raw MIDI import all the way to a good mixdown, no problems.

Thanks again! :mrgreen: