Problem with nat.

Hi, I encountered a problem.
I’m exploring in Dorico Pro 3 the key switches and playing techniques. The technique nat.(natural) worked well!
Then I saw that I could make my own playing techniques in Engrave. I did change something in the playing technique “natural”.
From that point the keyswitch of natural didn’t work anymore.
Before this action I set a nat. between a pizz. and staccato notes. That was necessary because despite the staccato signs (.) the pizz. sample stayed. With the nat. between both it worked well. But now nat. doesn’t work any longer. I clicked at factory reset in the Playing techniques in Engrave, but that didn’t resolve the problem. In “Play” I don’t see any longer nat on the place where I put a “nat” sign (shift + P).

In the meantime I found out, that it is not possible to attach a keyswitch to a self made Playing Technique. Is this by design?

Thanks for any help, (especially the problem with nat.!)

Welcome to the forum, mmka. Make sure that you have the mutual exclusion groups set up correctly in your expression map, so that Dorico knows which techniques should cancel out which other ones.

You can attach a keyswitch to any playing techniques you create yourself, but make sure you not only create the playing technique appearance in Engrave > Playing Techniques, but also the playback playing technique so that you can assign it to one or more actions in Play > Expression Maps; again, ensure the same playback playing technique is chosen in your expression map and as the effect of your playing technique appearance.

Tacking my queries on to this older post. Having fun making user defined playing techniques in Dorico 4.0.1. My target is the SpitfireAudio Devine harpsichord. I made some techniques OK ish and providing i use natural to cancel this works out OK triggering the key switches in Kontakt.

My questions are:
Is it still necessary to use a natural to cancel playing techs to stop key switches overlapping in 4.0.1.? I read elsewhere on forum this was not necessary after Dorico 3.5

How would i have done the same result using just control changes or UACC or UACC KS.? Spitfire manual a bit patchy on all this. I’d like to know more about these. Read they are easy but did not seem so when I experimented.

Am i flogging a dead horse with spitfire instruments on Kontakt 5 or 6. Kontakt seems to bring quite a few random errors into the process?

Thanks in hopes - been bashing my head on this one for quite a few days. Best wishes all.

Putting exclusive playback techniques into a Dorico “exclusion group” may avoid the necessity for reapplying nat. techniques at each change.

Thanks yes i did have mutual exclusion auto group. I think it works for some pt’s but not all. As i understand it you do not include the base natural in the Mutual Ex group. The random way in which some techniques fail to cancel the assigned key switch does make me think it is down to Spitfire/Kontakt setup rather than Dorico.
Still incredibly interesting - and really enjoying ver 4.0.1
Thanks again.