Problem with strings divisi

Hello everyone,

I’m encountering some issues with Dorico’s divisi, when I’m engraving my score and my individual parts. The thing is : I don’t really know where to put my divisi when there are rests. Here for example, if I need to put the divisi (in 3) the bar before it actually occurs, because if I put it where the music actually starts, it will stay (in 2). I’m experiencing these kinds of things a bit everywhere in my score, that force me to put divisi a bit arbitrarily in the score, in the middle of a several bars of silence, as long as it is the first bar of my page.

This is working on my score, but when it comes to individual parts, the divisi placements are incoherent. For example, you can see that the div. a 2 for the cellos there is a bit awkward, but I’m forced to do it like this, because if I move it at bar 69, it will then create something awkward in the score : the third cellos are still there while they should not. If I understand correctly, Dorico consider silence as music, but then, I’m not sure where to put my divisi indications in a way it will work both in my score and my individual parts. I hope I was clear.

Regards,

Francis

Hi Francis, the way divisi works in Dorico is that the first divisi change in a system applies for the whole of that system; if a 2nd change takes place somewhere in the middle, the number of staves won’t change until the next system.

I think what’s happening in your score is that the prevailing div a2 is “counting” as a divisi change at the start of the system, because it’s still in effect. I would imagine if you restored unison immediately after the previous div a2 section, then added the div a3 exactly where you want it, 3 staves would appear in the bar before in the score. The alternative is to adjust casting off, but I do understand that’s not always possible or desirable.

1 Like

Hi Lillie_Harris, I think I got it! The best thing would be to put Unis. systematically when there a silence to avoid these kinds of problems. And I can delete the unis. mention in my individual parts with with a “space” as a custom text.

Thank you for your help!

Worth considering that the flip-side to that idea, where Dorico automatically restores unison whenever there are rests, might be awkward to work with - e.g. if you’re playing around with who’s getting which notes or copying the notes from elsewhere. If you know you’ve reached the end of a divisi section, let Dorico know by restoring the unison :slight_smile:

Would it be possible to have dorico set the divisi change to the maximum divisi that occurs in the system? This has bitten me before in a rich French impressionist score that frequently switched between a2 and a3.

1 Like