Problem with the naming of instruments

When I add for example trumpet, is named as the Trumpet 4. When I add the second trumpet, will be named Trumpet 4 2. The same problem is with trombones. Why? Why is there a number 4?

Have you edited the instrument name of a Trumpet in a previous file?

Pianoleo, I didn’t understand, what you mean. I’m wondering, why is there a number 4. I have the name of the instrument always edit, it’s too complicated. You can’t set the instrument named as the Trumpet? (Without any number).

Have you used this dialog to edit the Trumpet name, in this project or any other project?

This I’m sure I do. But it’s too complicated it’s always to do with all of the tools. I arrange mostly for bigband, and there are 4 trumpets and 4 trombones.

I suspect you’ve overwritten your defaults for the Trumpet and Trombone instruments.
Add a trumpet player in Setup mode. Click the dropdown for the player to get to the actual instrument, then right-click and go Edit names. Delete the 4 from the full name (and from the short name if necessary), then tick the “Save as Default” option and hit OK.

Does that fix it?

Yes, it is possible it save as default. But it is also possible to store the name without the “B-flat”?

Don’t do that by editing the instrument name. Do that from Layout Options, as shown:

Yes, it works. But in parts is still a “B-flat”.

If you’re talking about the name that appears at the top left-hand corner of the first page, you can change that by editing the name of the layout in the Layouts panel in Setup mode.

If instead you’re talking about the staff labels showing at the left of the system (which is unusual in a part, of course) then you can make that change in Layout Options for the part layout.

I know. But I always have to do it again for another project. I can’t save it as the default.

No, you can’t save changes to layout names as default, but if you commonly write for the same ensemble, you can do File > Save As on this project and then simply delete the flow(s) afterwards, and add a new flow to start your next composition or arrangement.

You can set Layout Options for both scores and parts as defaults for future projects.

The important thing - the numbers in the names of instruments I solved. The second thing (B-flat) is not important. Thank you!

To Daniel: “you can do File > Save As on this project and then simply delete the flow(s) afterwards, and add a new flow to start your next composition or arrangement” - This is good idea! Thanks!