problem with tying notes

If I tie in attached example the notes, I get: half note + dotted half note + half note. But I want to get: half note + quarter note + whole note (what I had before tying). A bug? Or I doing something wrong?
Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-29 um 18.14.08.png
Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-29 um 18.14.47.png

One way to get your desired tie is to type in a new time signature in your second bar with the shift-M popover, [1+4]/4. This will make your tie work correctly. Then you can go to the properties panel at the bottom of the window and hide the time signature.

The best way is to press the “O” key while in entry mode before entering the notes, it locks in your note values, then add in the ties afterwards.

Yes - before you enter the notes. If you’ve already entered notes, in my experience you have to delete them, press the “O” key (Force Duration), then re-enter them. If you use the [1+4]/4 popover, it will overwrite the existing notation.

Not to derail the thread, but I would like to throw in that – unless unusual circumstances apply – your 1+4 spelling is metrically invalid and that Dorico’s spelling of 2+3 (or alternatively 3+2) is correct.

Thank you, this worked. But is there a possibility to to make the 1+4/5 invisible and write a 5/4? Hiding the time signature doesn’t help, because in the previous bar I have a 4/4.

I usually do this like that. But in this bar it doesn’t work as expected (I think it’s a bug).

Type “[1+4]/4” into the popover.

In this case there are “unusual circumstances”.

Thank you! It worked!

Would you care to elaborate?

I’ve done this kind of thing where there is a fermata, rather than forcing a conductor to conduct an unnecessary beat.
Also, if there is a constant accompaniment rhythm of 1-4, tying that 1 for a 3-2 or 2-3 produces audibly different results.

2 reasons: Because of polyphony and triplets this bars would be difficult to read with 3+2 or 2+3. And because of the triplets it is not really a 3+2 or 2+3 bar. But 1+4 is a compromise. Here would be ideal to have a single note with the length of 5/4 (perhaps a whole note with a half dot :wink: ) Then there would be no necessity to divide the 5/4 bar in 2 parts.