Problems colouring multiple tracks

I’ve tried everything I can think of and I have yet found a way to reliably colour multiple tracks at once. There seem to be four or five different ways to colour things and each works a little differently. But not of them will reliably colour multiple selected tracks at the same time.

Just to be clear, I do not have any Events selected when trying these methods.

1. In the mixer - at the boom of the channels you can set colour but it doesn’t work for multiple traccs.
  2. Inspector in Project window top right next to the name of the track. This sometimes works for multiple tracks but not always (it sometimes only colors some of them, sometimes none, occasionally all selected tracks)
  3. In Project window color menu at the top of the window. This sometimes works for multiple tracks but not always (it sometimes only colors some of them, sometimes none, occasionally all selected tracks)
  4. Same as 3 but with the colour tool selected. (it sometimes only colors some of them, sometimes none, occasionally all selected tracks)
  5. Shift-ALT/OPT-C brings up a colour picker. (this sometimes only colors some of them, sometimes none, occasionally all selected tracks).

Can anyone tell me a way that always works for coloring multiple tracks? At the moment I’m having to do it one at a time in projects with 60-100 tracks that takes a long time!

Thanks for any help.

@Antiphones Here are the steps:
1 - Open mixer window (F3)
2 - Activate Q-Link (top of the mixer window)
3 - Select tracks you want to change the colour
4 - Click on colour selector window dropdown palette (top right half of window)
5 - Deactivate Q-Link (usually do not want to keep this active)

Or the post below from @buzzripper will work too

Shift+Alt is the key. For almost all operations, not just selecting colors, if you’re holding Shift+Alt while you do it, it will apply it to all selected tracks. That goes for selecting colors but also for everything else, like selecting output routing, or applying effects, whatever. Sometimes you have be holding Shift+Alt while you open the thing you’re about to change, not just the final click. For instance, if you’re going to change the output bus for a channel, you click on the output bus in the inspector, it shows the dropdown list, and then you select the output. So it’s 2 clicks, and the thing to remember is you have to be holding Shift+Alt for both clicks for it to work on multiple tracks.

HTH

Sorry, I should have mentioned, I need the Events to be colored the same as the tracks. With the method you describe, the tracks are re-colored but only some of the events are re-colored and some are not. Is there a way to make sure both multiple selected tracks and their Events are re-colored?
Thanks.

By default Parts & Events follow the color of the Track they are on. But you can also set a Part or Event to a specific color. Once you do this those Parts & Events no longer change to follow the Track’s Color and instead retain the color they were set to.

So the Parts you have that aren’t changing are ones you have set to a specific color - perhaps by being accidentally Selected when changing Track Colors. I don’t really know how to unset those Parts.

Thanks, perhaps that’s what happend though I think it’s unlikely as I never change Event colour separately on purpose yet lots of them won’t change when I use the method above. I have discovered that if you select previously coloured tracks along with uncoloured tracks the colour function doesn’t work at all for any track. You have to go through and make sure that no previously coloured tracks are selected. This is all very time consuming when you have 150 tracks to color! I wish you could just select and Q-link and color without all the impediments.

This isn’t normal behavior at all. You should be able to select whatever Tracks you like and change their color independent of if they have been previously colored.

Color Tracks2

I have had no problems with previously colored tracks affecting the coloring of multi selected tracks. I just select the tracks I want to re-color then, while holding down the shift key, click on any of the selected tracks “handles”, on the left of the track name - as per the attached vid

Hope this helps?

Thanks, everyone. I’m wondering if this a problem with the Mac version of Cubase 11. I have Cubase on two different machines, both macs but with different versions of the OS, yet both have the same problems with coloring in Cubase.