Problems launching Dorico 5 on Windows

I’m getting the same error every time, rebooting and reinstalling doesn’t help: Audio engine process died.
DoricoDiagnosticsReport.zip (1.9 MB)

Hi @juergenkok ,
the log files are all from Dorico 4, is that what you expect?
Also, the audio engine logs show that it is always starting up normally and also shutting down properly. Only sometimes it refuses to shutdown.

So please confirm that we are looking at the correct data. Thanks

Thanks Ulf will do all that and post over night

Hi @Ulf , thanks for your fast reply.
Only Dorico 5 is installed and I used your script from this thread for the diagnostic logs. I had Dorico 4 deinstalled when Dorico 5 would not start after updating.

Hi @juergenkok , ah , now I understand.
Well, that script is still for Dorico 4 and needs updated paths for Dorico 5.
Can you do that yourself, open that bat file in NotePad.exe and adjust accordingly?

Just did myself, so here comes the updated script for Dorico 5
CreateDorico5DiagnosticsReport.zip (813 Bytes)

Hi @Ulf, thanks for updating the script, here’s my new file.
DoricoDiagnosticsReport.zip (833.3 KB)

Hi Juergen, thanks that is much better now, though there are no crash or freezedumps of the audio engine, which I would have expected. Maybe I need to adjust my script again…
However, the logs are correct now and the audio engine tries to launch, but the logs always break off at the same spot.
Please also get the Process Explorer utility like I described in an earlier post here in this thread.
Then launch Dorico and see if you can find a VSTAudioEngine process. If so, do a right click on it and create a mini dump for it. Such dump file zip up please and post here. Thank you very much

OK so in process explorer VST audio engine appears and then quickly seems be suspended then exits. So can’t get a dump. Here are a couple of shots.

Not sure how to get a minidump when the audio engine is there breifly and does not hang as Dorico does. Best

Hi Ulf, thanks for your help. Unfortunately, there is no VSTAudioEngine process visible in the Process Explorer.

Hi @juergenkok and @nomisllewdor ,
if you go to C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico5\VSTAudioEngine and double click the VSTAudioEngine5.exe, how does that behave then. A splash screen should appear for a few seconds and disappear again, but afterwards you should still see VSTAudioEngine as a running process in Process Explorer. Does that hold true with you both?

Morning Ulf. Nope it appears in process explorer and then suspends and exits. Should we try a remote connect using zoom?

Good Morning Ulf, no, the process disappears too.

Good morning, I wonder that no crash dumps get created with you.
Please have a look at the attachment, unzip the file and then do a double click on it.
It will change some values in the Windows Registry, that will tell Windows to always generate Crash dumps in a certain location. When you double click that file, Windows will alert and reconfirm, but just click to continue. Then do again, run just the VSTAudioEngine.exe and wait until it goes away.
Then open a File Explorer and into the address bar you copy and paste the string

%LOCALAPPDATA%/CrashDumps

and hit the Return/Enter key, that will bring you to that location.
Is there anything to be found there?
enable_local_dumps.zip (491 Bytes)

@nomisllewdor and @juergenkok , I’d be available for a Zoom session right now, or later in the afternoon (UTC+)

OK can try now I have a bit of time before work - mioght have to launch the work laptop at some point .

@nomisllewdor , I’ve sent a Zoom invitation via private message to you

Hi Ulf, yes, that worked, here are the newest files I have found. There are more files, but the zipfile was getting too big to upload.
VSTAudioEngine5.exe.dmpFiles.zip (2.3 MB)

Sorry, I am too busy today for Zoom.

Thanks for the data @juergenkok , I already had a quick Zoom session with nomisllewdor and I could also get some dump files, actually exactly that what I needed. Even better to have your’s now as well.
So at the moment I have no need for a remote session with you, but thank you very much for your offer. I’ll get back here as soon as I have more news.