Problems opening old C5 sessions in C7 - Solved

hi, i just never have any luck opening my old C5 32 bit sessions in C7 x64. im not talking about plugins not working, im talking about the session not even opening. C7.06 just gets to the popup window “Loading MixConsole” and freezes. C7 freezes forever. i have to CTL-Alt-DEL.

i cant get any C5 sessions/ songs to load.

ive tried doing the “Backup” thing in C5 where it makes a nice, new folder and the session. Still freezes when trying to load it in C7. anyone have some tips? i need to finish off some tracks and i really dont look forward to having to go back to C5 to do it.

many thanks
Blackout

Hi Blackout,

try renaming your Plugins folder before you load the project.

Regards

thanks. ok i have removed plugins one by one, and saved 20 different versions of the project as i have done so in C5. then started at the top and tried loading the versions one by one in C7 until i found one project version that opens.

seems it was RMIV vsti that was in the VST Instruments rack that was the problem. the session is now open in C7 yay!!

(i have RMIV in all my C5 projects, which would explain why none of them have ever opened.)

Thank you for responding Steinberg support!

Cheers,
Blackout

Hi Blackout,

I’m glad you got it sorted. It’d be nice if you added to the title of your topic the word “Solved”.

Regards

one thing i did notice was that all of the Group Channels i had in C5 are gone. so everything is just being re-assigned to be bussed to the main out, and the actual Group Channels are missing in C7. so i have to re-create my 12x group channels again and re-assign every one of my 100+ channels to groups again, not including all the fx i had on the groups that are now gone.

normal? very frustrating

Edit: i have tried loading some other c5 sessions in C7. once i remove the RMIV and save the session in C5 and then load that C5 session in C7 i seem to keep my groups ok. Except for that one session i described above. wierd. i always suspected that session was a bit “corrupt” in c5. if i remember i had wierd automation tracks disappearing and then re-appearing assigned to different VSTis, automation not working etc. So maybe that was the prob with that session.

Cheers!
Blackout