Problems Switching Out Instruments/Missing VST

Hello,

I am very new to Cubase, but I have enjoyed it the most of the new DAWs I’ve been experimenting with. So far, it has been the easiest song to transfer MIDI files from finale and replace them with better sounding VSTs. Right now, I am having a problem and I’m stumped on how to fix it.

I first tried the Cubase 10 Elements trial on my on my Macbook Pro and it worked nearly flawlessly. I had also used the Halion 6 trial VSTs and they worked without issue. I was easily able to switch out the instrument choices for my midi files.

I have since installed Cubase 10 elements on my windows PC, but it is not working as seamlessly as it did on my mac. Firstly, I’m unable to change out the instrument for the midi files. When I open up the Output Routing, the only option I have is Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. Adding them as separate instruments does not work either. Secondly, the Halion 6 VST I had downloaded does not show up in the right zone of the main screen where VSTs are handled. These issues were no present on my mac, so I’m wondering what I am doing wrong and how I can go about correcting these issues.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome,

To me it sounds like you have created a MIDI tracks, after import MIDI File. Is there any Instrument in the project? What is your Preferences > MIDI > MIDI File > Destination settings, please? I would expect MIDI Tracks is there. I would recommend any other but this option.

Is HALion Sonic SE installed on your PC? Is HALion installed on your PC? Could you double-check it in the Plug-in Manager, please?

Hi, I appreciate your quick reply.

1. I’ll try to answer your questions as best I can. Currently, there no instruments in the project.
  2. I’m not sure where the “Preference” tab is or how to get to the destination settings.
  3. HALion Sonic SE is installed and am able to pick through the instrument options but they will not produced sound when assigned to a MIDI part in my project.
  4. HALion was just installed last night and does not show up in the plug-in manager.

Essentially, my process is I download the notation file in finale as a MIDI file. That file is then exported from my mac to my PC. I quite literally just drag and drop the midi file from my desktop into Cubase like I did on mac. From there, I have been having the issues I described. I tried uploading pictures to help better explain the issue, but it wasn’t working for me either.

Hi,

I would recommend HALion Sonic SE over Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. HALion Sonic SE would be created automatically, if you make the right settings.

On Mac: Cubase > Preferences. On Windows: File (or Edit) > Preferences.

You would need to select a sound in the HALion Sonic SE. But once you set it up correctly, the sound should be loaded while importing the MIDI File (if the Program Change MIDI information is stored in the project).

Then something is wrong with the installation. Are you sure you have installed HALion? Not HALion Sonic SE?

Why don’t you import the downloaded MID file directly to Cubase? Is Finale needed for some task here?

Hi, thank you again for the response.

I seemed to have figured out HALion 6 issue and it is now showing up in cubase, however, I am still unable hear any sounds from the midi parts of my project.

Shakysanders wrote: ↑Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:28 am
Essentially, my process is I download the notation file in finale as a MIDI file. That file is then exported from my mac to my PC. I quite literally just drag and drop the midi file from my desktop into Cubase like I did on mac. From there, I have been having the issues I described. I tried uploading pictures to help better explain the issue, but it wasn’t working for me either.

Why don’t you import the downloaded MID file directly to Cubase? Is Finale needed for some task here?

I write my music in notation software through Finale as I compose best with sheet music. Those notation files are then converted from the notation software into MIDI which is then imported into Cubase.

Shakysanders wrote: ↑Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:28 am
2. I’m not sure where the “Preference” tab is or how to get to the destination settings.
On Mac: Cubase > Preferences. On Windows: File (or Edit) > Preferences.

Turns out the MIDI destination that was set was HALion Sonic SE multi-timbral

Thank you again for your help.

Hi,

Did you keep this settings, or did you change it?

If you kept the settings, HALion Sonic SE should be used as a sound generator (you cannot setup HALion or other instrument in the mentioned preferences). SO the sound should go out over your Audio Device. What Audio Device do you use? What ASIO Driver? Is the Buffer Size high enough? Is the Studio > Audio Connections > Outputs routed to a meaningful output? Do you have any speakers/headphones connected to the Audio Device?

Some screenshots might help.