Problems with Dorico Pro 5

Working on a small project to set up SYzd Percussion instruments, I’m noticing the following:
1- When in playback, using the space bar to start/stop, it triggers the layout menu to open up.
2- After creating a new instrument, I can’t delete it later. Every time I’ve tried this, Dorico crashes.
The same thing happens when trying to delete an Endpoint I no longer want.
Here’s the Diagnostics report:
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (951.9 KB)
Here’s the project file:
SYzd Percussion Study Sample.dorico (1.9 MB)
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Hi @algae592009 I was not able to reproduce your problems.

1. playback works normally on your file on my system
  2. I could delete instruments from your file, also inside kits, and also whole players without issues

I have noticed some overrides in engrave mode (also a strange red frame edge on your music frame on page 2 of full score layout, that becomes dashed when you enter the Fame editing mode: never saw this, does someone know what causes it?). Not sure the overrides cause your problems, but to try and remove them, and apply the default Page Template set, on a duplicate file, doesn’t take much time).

For sure someone more technical skilled than me will come to help you soon.

Thanks for checking it out.
Hopefully others will chime in.

Can you please provide the specific steps you are taking in your project to reproduce the crash. Please be as specific as possible. Imagine that the person reading the steps has never seen Dorico before, so when you talk about, for example, “deleting an instrument”, be sure to specify whether you mean deleting an instrument from a player in the Players panel in Setup mode, or deleting the entire player in Setup mode, or deleting an instrument definition in Library > Instruments, or something else. If you provide clear steps to reproduce the problem, we should be able to help.

In addition, if you have experienced crashes, do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and upload the resulting zip file here, so that we can get a look at the actual crash dumps produced.

Hi Daniel,
1- When in playback, using the space bar to start/stop, it triggers the layout menu to open up.
By this I mean when I hit spacebar to playback the score, the score menu next to the print button, opens up. Same happens when I stop the playback with the space bar.

2- After creating a new instrument, I can’t delete it later. Every time I’ve tried this, Dorico crashes.
The same thing happens when trying to delete an Endpoint I no longer want.
What I did is: went to Library menu, then opened Instruments, then chose Unpitched Percussion & found several Brake Disc instruments I created. One of them is called Brake Discs - SYzd Percussion, which I tried to delete since I felt I no longer need it. Every time I tried to delete, Dorico would crash, as the automatic reports would show (about 5 or 6 of them), which I forwarded them to Steinberg. I’m assuming you would be the recipients of these crash reports.
With the Endpoints, I went to Play menu, then Playback Template. In there I chose the Playback Template I created (SYzd Percussion - Algae Studio) and opened it with the pencil edit button. Once in there, I chose Endpoint Configurations I wanted to delete, since I had created another one to replace the first, and again, the program crashed.

As of now, for some reason, the problems seem to have disappeared, which is frustrating because now I feel I’ve wasted people’s time.
I can only say that the 2 files I attached at the beginning of this thread hopefully would show these issues.
Other than that, I don’t have anything else to share for now other than thank you for your time and consideration. I really appreciate all the work you put in to address our concerns, issues and frustrations.
Thank you

Thanks for the further information about the crashes. Unfortunately, when you submit crash reports when Dorico starts up, they are carefully anonymised to the point that we are not able to tie them back to any specific incident or user. This is great from a privacy point of view, but not so good from the point of view of allowing us to provide support to individual users.

So I would be interested to see the crash reports from your system. Hopefully, if you do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach the resulting zip file here, the crash logs will be included and I can take a look at them.

Regarding the opening of the layout menu when you start playback, this certainly doesn’t happen in all circumstances. Are you clicking back and forth between VST instrument windows and Dorico’s window, or otherwise switching away from Dorico and back again? If so, when you switch back, how are you doing that? By clicking on the Dorico window, or by making it active using the app switching keyboard shortcuts, or something else?

We still need more detailed steps to look into that problem in more detail, I’m afraid. I know it’s frustrating when a problem that you can reproduce at will can’t be reproduced internally, but that’s because you are doing something that we’re not (or you’re not doing something that we are). Until we know exactly what steps you’re taking, we can’t say for sure what the problem might be.