Problems with old Cubase mixes & low end in Nuendo (considering downgrade)

Hello,

I will try to describe a persisting problem that has been present from the first day I crossgraded from Cubase 11 PRO to Nuendo 11, about half a year ago.

A major issue that I have been having is, when opening my cubase created smooth finished mixes in Nuendo, it seems that in Nuendo, on the track the low end is different 50% gone (pushed down incohesive with the mixed track, it stops floating stable), and the punch is dumbed down aswell. Whereas when you open the same mix arrangement into Cubase, (downloaded the trial, as my license was crossgraded), the low end and punch is back fully restored and absolutely perfect.

It seems to me that Nuendo has a completely different audio engine low end system, and while having tried everything for the last 6 months I seem to be unable to get the low end back the way it was before in Nuendo, whereas in Cubase I simply do the usual routine standard low end routines and it works. I cannot spend months, redo-ing all the low ends of every cubase project I made. There’s thousands!

It has brought me on the brink of insanity and I’m considering downgrading again. Because the amount of hours needed to get the mix right in Nuendo, compared to Cubase, really feels like a big obstable and downgrade to me.

1. So I would like to ask, is it possible to somehow, have the cubase low end workings, inside of Nuendo, and have the engine working more in the style of Cubase while in Nuendo (even if people might argue it’s the same engine identically, (no it’s certainly not)). Nuendo needs to leave the low end intact that was mixed in cubase.

2. If not, is it possible to downgrade back to cubase, without having to purchase a new Cubase license again? I don’t even need the crossgrade money back from the crossgrade cubase-nuendo, because Nuendo has been a complete nightmare since the start for my mixing process, and I’m tired of it, even if the daw is more advanced. I’m on the brink of insanity with the Nuendo low end.

I have had extensive mixing engineering schooling in the past. So in the end, it may be a problem of taste regarding the low end in these different daws, but I am unable to replicate the sound of Cubase, in Nuendo this far. Getting desperate. This problem is completely ruining my work progress at this point, and I haven’t gotten one step further since the cross grade.

I would appreciate any help/advice/tips. Perhaps it’s something in the program settings of Nuendo that needs changing? Thank you so much. I need the low end to float high and stable like in cubase, whereas in Nuendo the same mix arragement the low end will be pushed down low back to the bottom (not in a eq way) and incohesive. I literally tried everything, nothing works. Basically Nuendo needs to stop changing my low end that I mixed in cubase, is what I ask. Is this possible?

Sarah

I can open the same project on both, Cubase and Nuendo without hearing any difference.
Did you insert something on the main bus?

1 Like

Most certainly not. I can open and render the exact same mix arrangement in both programs, and the sound will be different. Cubase has more presence on the low end, while on Nuendo it’s more pushed to the back. Cubase tends to sound a little bit sharper more easily aswell during mixing. And this is the exact opposite of what I need in the music styles I’m working. So unless it has something to do within the Nuendo program settings itself, (which would seem very odd, because I did even a clean install), there seems to be a difference in the audio on both daws. Atleast on my end.

This has been a headache since the crossgrade, and it has driven me to the point of utter insanity. The countless hours I have spent trying to fix this… If I cannot fix it in the Nuendo program settings somehow, or atleast crossgrade back if I can’t , I have to change daw. Because it’s destroying a majority of my deadlines and the results I need in the scene I work.

@xxxx- Do the mixes cancel-out when you mix phase-inverted bounces (… assuming there are no randomly modulating sources)? If they do, then you have a problem with your monitoring path. If they don’t, listening to the delta should give you a hint where to continue searching for the culprit, e.g. settings in your mixbus, pan laws and so on.

2 Likes

I can’t think of anything worse than having to spend endless hours figuring out a problem that should not be there. Talk about interrupting the workflow.
What about if you recorded one stereo track in Cubase 11, without any eq, inserts, sends etc. Just 20 secs will do. Mixdown and then save the project. Open the same project in Nuendo and do exactly the same. Call the first Mixdown file …“CubaseMix” and the other “NuendoMix”. Do they sound very different. Could you put the files on Soundcloud so we could hear?? If there is a difference then something is clearly wrong.
I had a similar problem and found that when I clicked on “channel settings” on the fader tab I could see eq was on with a +2db raise at 500hz. I completely missed. it drove me insane, by default they are all on, although eq is flat. Anyway just a thought…hope it all works out.

The Nuendo audio engine is exactly the same as the Cubase audio engine.
No difference.
Nada.

Fredo

5 Likes

check nuendo control room, maybe you accidently did something there.
or just try to delete preference files, there is an article abbout that

1 Like

The Nuendo audio engine is exactly the same as the Cubase audio engine.

Sorry, but that’s simply not true. ‘Even’ in the daw description on the website, the audio engine capabilities states they are different from one another, where as cubase has a resolution of 192 and Nuendo 384. Even if this difference is completely unrelated to my problem to say they are identical in capabilities is untrue. Perhaps toned down version, but still not identical.

In regards to my problem, I think that my ears after 15 years in the mixing/mastering industry can tell a low end and sharpness difference where there is one.

The problem may lay elsewhere, in the settings or control room as some people kindly have suggested, but to say there is no problem, when there is clearly one and I even payed 400 euro to create that problem during the cross grade, is not nice and not helpful at all for a mod. This does not help me one bit forward that reply.

I will look at some of the suggestions given here in the topic and see what I can do. Allthough, it’s unusual to see that forum members are more helpful than actual moderators at Steinberg. But at this point this daw is unusable for professional use for me, because of that exact problem on this end.

What is wrong with you?

He (Fredo) just stated that there is no difference in the audio engine.
He didn’t mention or negated your problem.

The engine is not the reason for your problem.

Can you provide some screenshots please?

• the plugin slots in the control room
  • the slots in the master channel
  • the pan law settings
  • the constraint delay compensation button

The first thing you should do is just let us know what a null-test tells you. If it nulls does it do it down to infinity or say below -144dBFS? If it doesn’t, how low is the residual signal and what type of signal is it? Is it noise?

But capability and actual functioning aren’t the same thing though. Just because Steinberg has limited Cubase to a lower maximum sample rate doesn’t mean in any kind of way that the internal audio engine automatically runs at maximum. In fact it’s very easy to see that that’s not the case. And so you really have to ask yourself why anyone in their right mind would program the two softwares in a way where when both run at 48kHz they do so ‘differently’.

That simply makes zero sense.

Also how would the audio engine manage to split out the low end and process that differently beetween Cubase and Nuendo? I mean, how would that even work? It’d have to be some odd side effect of something within the engine to make that happen, but it’s really hard to fathom what that would be. All that the basic engine does is add and multiply numbers. I mean, that’s really it.

Like st10ss wrote he didn’t say there was no problem, he just pointed out that the fundamental audio engine is the same. It’s been the same for a long time.

In addition to other things;

I would double check filter and EQ settings on your source tracks. Verify that nothing has gotten lost by accident when moving things over.

Check if you’re using VCAs, since I think they’re still different in the two apps, and I have no idea how they translate from Cubase to Nuendo or vice versa.

And check modulation effects if you’re using them.

2 Likes

Check your control room. Check your pan law settings. Check the application project settings (32 or 64 bit float). Check your studio setup routing is identical in both.

There is absolutely no difference between the “sound” of the audio engines in Cubase / Nuendo.

And of course ideally just pull in a single stereo reference track. You’ll see there’s no difference. Then you could figure out what’s causing this in projects.

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, but on this forum many of us have 15, 20, or even 40 years of experience in the business, so either follow the friendly suggestions that try to lead you in the direction of the actual problem, or stick with your attitude and deal with it on your own.

You might very well hear something. But in any case - it’s perfectly clear that the audio engine itself isn’t the problem.

1 Like

I don’t wish to start World War 3 here, but sometimes we as human beings get it all wrong, and that’s ok, sometimes we have attitude, and that’s ok, sometimes we just misinterpret a collection of words, and that’s ok, but in order to really help and go forward we need to stop pushing people into a corner and perhaps let them have that attitude or whatever you want to call it. A really good read is Transactional Analyses by Dr Eric Berne…worth a read. In the meantime, I think you probably lost a forum member. A single woman (attitude or not) against all us males ???

Errrr … I didn’t even realize that the OP might be a woman - and it’s not of any relevance for us in that context anyway, is it? The facts are the same for all genders. Don’t bring in a meta-level that the topic basically didn’t have in the first place.

2 Likes

I bet you have your Master Stereo output connected to your soundcard in addition to a Control Room Output. When using Control Room, any output needs to be set to “Not Connected”
See “Studio/Audio Connections/Outputs”

Fredo

2 Likes

Errrr … I didn’t even realize that the OP might be a woman - and it’s not of any relevance for us in that context anyway, is it? The facts are the same for all genders. Don’t bring in a meta-level that the topic basically didn’t have in the first place

Seriously !!.. “Deluded by Experience” comes to mind, another good read for you. Try it and please do not hide my post

Your post is still “off topic”

That’s fine…I don’t wish to be part of a forum that can’t respond. Trying to get myself removed but can’t find the magic button…will find it soon I hope

Uh :rabbit: … what?

It’s the same. You have configuration differences either in your master section, outputs, fader range or panlaw setting.