Problems with rhythmic spelling (and forced)

Hello!

I’m struggling to get the hang of Doricos way of handling rhythmic notation. I very often need to get rhythms notated in a specific way. I often use odd meters and shifting meters. I want to be able in a easy way specify specific spelling for different time signatures. It feels a bit awkward having to override Doricos spelling with the force function. Furthermore ties doesn’t work properly. When using force the ties doesn’t tie the notes. It works like a slur. How come?

I want the notation to reflect in what way the 5/4 is divided. Since I’m a rookie I don’t understand Doricos system regarding rhythm, yet I must add.

1. If I for instance type [1+1+1+1+1]/4 Doricos rhythmic spelling does what I want without me having to override anything. See pic 1.

2. But if I write [3+2]/4 I get a really bad way of notating the same rhythm. See pic 2.

3. If I write [2+3]/4 (the way the 5/4 is divided) I get this. See pic 3.

To get the most transparent and reading friendly notation there must be a way of choosing how rhythmic spelling should work before you start typing i the music. If there is I still haven’t found the way of using it with a good result.

Is there something I miss? Is this the way it’s supposed to work?
Why does Dorico choose a dotted quarter note instead of a eight note tied to a quarter note? There should be an easy way to turn off certain spellings, like turning a G# to an Ab or turning a dotted quarter note to eight note tied to a quarter note.

Anybody who can help me understand?

Best wishes!
/O
Pic 3..png
Pic 2..png
Pic 1..png

It took me awhile to figure out what you’re asking exactly, and I’m still not sure I understand. If typing [1+1+1+1+1]/4 gets what you want, and still appears as 5/4 in the score (which it does), then what is your problem?

Maybe changing some of the settings in Write/Notation Options… would help? I tried poking around in there, and when I changed “Notes that subdivide compound beats, and fill the beat” that made the [2+3]/4 look like your version.

I don’t think I’ve encountered tied notes that work like slurs, unless I’m tying from one voice into another voice.