Project based latency issue

I’m running the 32 bit version of Cubase 5.5.1 on an i7-system and 64 bit Windows 7. I also have C5 64 bit installed. My soundcard is a Lexicon u42s.

A couple of days back, Cubase seemingly reset itself from one day to the next. No current projects were remembered in the startup splash screen and several utilities had to be re-enabled, like my Presonus Faderport.

Since that time, I have been having some pretty strange latency issues. When I open up a recent project, that existed before the reset, and plug in a guitar or a microphone into my u42s, the response time from Cubase when I click on the monitor icon on the input channel, is something like 150 ms. This is with the highest setting of the soundcard ASIO driver (which is the latest version). With a more relaxed setting in the driver, the latency is even worse.

However. When I open the same project in the 64 bit version of Cubase 5 on the same system, the problem is not there anymore. Likewise, if I start an entirely fresh project in either the 32 bit or the 64 bit versions of Cubase 5, there are no latency issues whatsoever.

So it seems theses problems are directly related to these particular projects, and not only that, but these projects in 32 bit mode.

I tried reinstalling Cubase 32 bit, but that did not help things. I’m at a loss as to where to go next in my troubleshooting. I’d be grateful for any ideas. The thing is, I’m in the middle of an album project with a deadline just 8 days away.

Regards,
Jana

Make sure the correct ASIO driver is selected.

Yes, I have made sure that the correct ASIO driver is chosen in the device setup. The device setup is looking identical in the 32- and the 64-bit versions of the same project. But only the 32-bit mode has this severe 150 ms latency when monitoring. Same project 64-bit - no latency. It is not just one project that is affected but dozens of them. But no new ones that I start fresh.

Edit: I am using the same project file, just opening them in Cubase 32-bit or 64-bit.

Try trashing Prefs. The 64 bit install could have grabbed the 32bit’s Prefs on install or vice versa.

Are there any prefs related only to specific projects that I can trash? Since there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong when I start a fresh 32-bit project, I’m hesitant to trash anything that’s global. This latency behaviour is tied to the 32-bit mode of these specific projects that existed prior to the Cubase reset thing happened, nothing else is affected.

I’m thinking about trying to move an entire project to a new project location with the help of export and saving individual channel settings as templates. I’m pretty sure that’s a feasible workaround. Is there a best practice for accomplishing this?

Also, would it be advisable to apply the 5.5.2 update in this state, any chance of a fix in there?

I think I found a fix.

There’s a button top left in the workspace called “Constrain Delay Compensation [!]”. I clicked on it, it lit up in orange and the latency went away! I quickly saved the project and closed Cubase. Then I opened the same project in 64-bit Cubase. Nope, the button was not highlighted there, and clicking on it made no difference. Funny thing is, when I re-opened the same project again in 32-bit, the button was NOT highlighted as I had left it, but the latency problem was still gone!

I’m still clueless as to what caused this, but I’m happy I found a way to seemingly repair whatever it was…