Project fails right at the start

I was just preparing a score for a transposing project I need to do. I conduct an amateur band and my principal flautist also plays piccolo but can’t handle transposing the Db piccolo to play on his C piccolo. And my horn section ins’t really up to speed for playing from Eb horn parts on their F horns.

So as my first real project in Dorico I thought I would create a score, enter the original parts, then simply switch the instruments and the transpositions.

Alas, there is no Db piccolo nor are there Eb horns in the instrument list. I can get around the Eb horn lack by choosing Eb Alto Clarinets for the instruments to enter the music into and then I hope that I can simply change the instruments for those players to Horn and get the proper transposition, including the correct octave, without any fuss.

But since the piccolo or flute are the only instruments I’ve ever heard of being in Db I’m stuck. Looking through the list of instruments I’m very impressed at how varied the possibilities are but am really at a loss as to why such common 19th century, early 20th century band instruments as the Db piccolo or the Eb horns are missing.

Can they please be added to the one of the next updates, or add the ability of the end-users to define our instruments based on existing instruments? That way any instrument-specific playing techniques would still be available but we could set up the keys of the instruments as we wish. Thanks.

Isn’t it possible to write both instruments in concert pitch, and then use the transposition panel (in write mode, write menu), half tone down for piccolo and minor third down for horn ?

As a workaround (that involves some brainpower on your side) you could enter the notes already transposed :wink:

There is a Horn in E flat No key sig already - is that what you needed?

I’ll add the request for a Piccolo in Db. Military piccolo I believe, although I’m no expert.

Both Alto Horn and Tenor Horn are in Eb with key signatures. Baritone horn is in Bb.
There are, however, places where the Baritone Horn (octave lower than Cornet) is called ‘Tenor Horn’ and the ‘Tenor Horn’ is called ‘Alto Horn’.

“Horn” can be a confusing instrument name in wind and brass bands, since French horns and the Saxhorn family of instruments are completely different things.

Incidentally, the list of valveless French horns in Dorico isn’t complete, though it does include E flat as John at Steinberg said. Some fairly common ones are missing, e.g. E natural and “basso” and “alto” versions of Bb and C. Here’s a comprehensive list: http://hornmatters.com/PDF/French-Horn-Transposition-Reference-Chart.pdf

Thanks – it wasn’t obvious to me from looking at the list without clicking on it that other options would appear if I clicked on the word “Horn” or “French Horn!”

Why aren’t there options for “with key signature?” None of the horn players I come in contact with prefer music without key signatures. While I realize that there is a long-standing tradition of orchestral horn players preferring music without key signatures. Please add the options for all these different keyed instruments to be with key signature as well as without.

Db piccolo was used in a lot of publications for military band, but not exclusively for military use.

Thanks for that. Be sure to tell Daniel and the team that they no longer need build transposition into the program since none of us need it. :astonished:

Well, it’s easy enough to enter the notes in the same lines and spaces as your Db part but using a different clef, and then change the clef and move all the notes by an octave… :smiling_imp:

And if piccolo players learned to read C clefs like real musicians, you wouldn’t have any of this at all. Dumbing-down strikes again … :open_mouth:

I know how to do it, I’m just trying to figure out how to do it easily using modern notation software.

As to why I want to do it, I’m working with amateur musicians who have day jobs and who haven’t time to learn all the intricacies of reading different C clefs.

I don’t consider it dumbing down – I consider it helping the musicians in my community band have an easier and thus more enjoyable time.

Dear dhbailey52,

I think you are absolutely right. And this is what the forum is there for : allow us to give some feedback so that the software gets better and meets our needs.