Project Length Issue

Hi guys, I am having an issue with my Cubase 6 project length changing on me. I am able to reproduce it pretty consistently so I’m hoping someone else will be able to validate this or point me in the right direction.

First some info on my setup:

• Intel Core i7 920
  • Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
  • Cubase 6.0.5 32 bit build 357
  • 6 GB ram
  • ATI Radeon HD 4800
  • Dual monitor

To reproduce:

• Create a new “Empty” project
  • Project → Project Setup → Set project length to something like 4 minutes
  • Zoom out so that the entire project fills the screen
  • Set the markers to the start and end of the project
  • Add a new mono track, arm to record
  • Move the locator somewhere near the end of the project, say bar 113ish
  • Start Recording

For me, the instant I hit record I can see the project size change in the “overview” bar (it is now zoomed to only about half the project size). If I go look at my Project Setup screen, the “Length” has increased (it is now 0:09:14:00 however this sometimes differs, its been as high as 10 minutes).

Note, if in the above scenario above I start recording at bar 1 instead, this behavior does not occur instantly, however if I let the recording go it will expand the project length when the locator nears the right side of the screen.

I can’t seem to find a setting that will prevent this from happening.

Here is a link to a video of the behavior:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3839012/CubaseProjectLength.mov

Note the zoom level in the overview bar before I press record. After pressing record, it goes for a second and you see the zoom jump so that it is now only zoomed to about half the project. This shows that the project length has changed.

Thanks!

Adam

It’s always done that, I presume it’s to allow the recording to dynamically adjust the project length so you don’t inadvertently not record something.

Ok sure, expand the project length if the recording extends past the currently set project length? That’s not quite happening… it extends it if you record somewhere near the vicinity of the end of the project. So does everyone reset the project length after each track they record? or live with a project that is set to some length drastically longer than they want? I haven’t yet experimented to see how much longer it needs to be to prevent this.

Don’t bother with project length until all recording is done. Hardly a show stopper

As I said it’s always been like that, it’s one of those ignore it and it’ll stop bothering you things :wink: