Project Logical Editor Select Selected Note every bar

I’ve finally transferred from Logic to cubase and one of the things that I know is possible but can’t figure out how to do is setup a project logical editor template to take what ever note I have selected and repeat the selection in the following bars in the MIDI clip.

In logic it is called select equal sub positions and I use it ALL the time. It makes selecting the same hat in a 32 bar clip much easier…

Furthermore I’d like to figure out how to do this with velocity as well… In logic there is a select by similar color command…

Thanks in advance.

Edit- In editing my graphic to fix what Vic pointed out, I realized I didn’t even correctly understand what you wanted to accomplish, :blush: but now maybe I do. :wink: To get you started.

Cubase does not have the command you mentioned, you would just enter the range within which you want to select notes. I changed the image I uploaded so it would do what you are asking. Note the values in the parameter columns.

When you want to edit velocity, change the Function to Transform, and the action in the lower pane will take place. In this example it would subtract 20 from the velocity of the notes determined by the filter in the upper pane.

Thanks for the quick reply,

I see how you are creating a way to select a pre-defined value however what if I select the 1/8th note and just want it to select the first 1/8th note on the next bar or change my selection?

sub-pos.gif

(If I may just chip in :wink: )…
That screenshot is fine, except…
You need to change the parentheses… don’t mix “And” and “Or” inside the same parentheses. Should be like this…
Line #1 And (Line #2 Or Line #3 or Line #4 Or Line #5)

Yes- as Vic says. I added the last one in a hurry and didn’t edit the And to Or.

When i do as you suggested it selects the notes not on beat rather than the same notes as selected in the first bar.

Again thanks for the help in this!

I edited my earlier post.

Thanks for the help guys!

Two of the best on the board.

I always learn something from them.

This time was no exception.
{‘-’}

True :sunglasses:

I agree, thanks for the posts :bulb:

I still don’t though see how it is possible to do what you can do with selections of MIDI notes like Logic does and equal suppositions without having a bunch of predefined Logical Editor presets made. I have wondered this for years but never actively pursued trying to figure it out.

Thank you for posting this.

Two things I don’t understand:

1. How does Cubase know that “Value 2” = velocity
  2. “120” and "“479” … what are those values? I thought initially they referred to the range of bar #s the PLE would apply to, but the image shows the action is taking place as early as bar #9, so that’s not it. Does it refer to position in the bar, and if so, how are positions inside the bars numbered … how does the second 16th note get a value of “120” and the fourth one get a value of “479” (I know I should know that somehow … :blush: )?

Thanks -

For note-on data, “Value 2” is always the note’s velocity (“value 1” is the note number). For controller data, “Value 1” is the CC# number, and “Value 2” is the current value of that controller… etc.

1. “120” and "“479” … what are those values? I thought initially they referred to the range of bar #s the PLE would apply to, but the image shows the action is taking place as early as bar #9, so that’s not it. Does it refer to position in the bar, and if so, how are positions inside the bars numbered … how does the second 16th note get a value of “120” and the fourth one get a value of “479” (I know I should know that somehow … > :blush: > )?

They are the absolute “tick” number for the bar, based on the MIDI display resolution in Preferences>MIDI (by default, 120 ticks per 16th-note, therefore a bar of 4/4 consists of 1920 ticks), so in that screenshot, all notes that occur between the 120th and 479th ticks of each bar will be selected (i.e. between the start of the second 16th note up to just before the start of the fifth 16th-note (i.e. the start of the 2nd quarter-note) ). These values are very useful for selecting notes that are not strictly quantized :wink:.

Looks like Vic beat me by two minutes to the post, but I’ll leave mine just incase it clarifies anything.

Because for MIDI note the first byte is the status message which contains note on and MIDI channel, next byte or Value 1 is the note number and 3rd byte or value 2 is velocity for notes. To give contrast for CC messages value 1 = the parameter such as Volume, Pan, bank number etc and the second value is how much. There are 8 status messages.

This is linked to your preferences MIDI:MIDI Display Resolution: 1/16 = 120 ticks. I have mine set to 240 since I am use to 960 being how many ticks are in the quarter note. Though it says display resolution I have found in the PLE (Project Logical Editor) as well the (MIDI) Logical Editor are selected based on this setting, though I have not found that in the manual when talking about the editor settings.

So 480 to 481 with it set to 1/16th = 120 would be the note on the second beat.
480 to 481 with it set to 1/16th = 240 (or 960 Parts Per Quarter Note) would be the second 8th note or & of beat one.
Ticks Notes Fall On.xls.zip (123 KB)
Cubase MIDI Preference.jpg

Wow, amazing info that I don’t know I would have figured out otherwise, thanks so much vic_france and skillet.

I do believe your explanation took some of the mystery of PLE away - still chipping away at trying to understand it.

Yes, but by how long would that be in ticks? :stuck_out_tongue:

Depends on the BPM, ya dig :wink: