I was working on a project with lots of VSTi’s and plugins and the old VST meter was starting to ping. For interest sake I decided to save the project under another name and reduce the sample rate in the new project from 96 to 44.1 Cubase went away and did its thing (quite clever actually – did all the SRCs to the audio files and prompted to save the original audio files and so on…). Once finished I played the tune and noticed something strange with the drums. I have a couple of instances of Groove Agent in the project and when I solo’d them I noticed they were all distorted. In fact, it appears that Groove Agent did not get the message about the sample rate conversion and continued to render at the higher sample rate (or so it seems as I cannot really confirm this). In any event Cubase did a pretty good job with overall process except for Groove Agent.
One other thing… I was reading about the seemingly endless debate about sample rates – those who assert there is no audible difference between 44.1 and anything higher (be it 96 or 192 or whatever). At my age I cannot claim ‘golden ear’ status but I have to say that even my grizzled tympanic membranes could hear a significant difference between the 44.1 project and the 96 project. Who knows, maybe there were other conversion issues of which I remain unaware but even after fixing the drums the 44.1 version sounded tinnier than the 96 version.
On the upside it was great for VST load… Dropped it by about 40%.