I’ve been working on my first project which was started from scratch within Cubase Pro 8. When I attempt to open it in Cubase Pro 8, the spinning beach ball of death appears (which never stops)! No activity can be performed in this state. A force-quit is required.
There is nothing unusual about this project. There are only a handful of tracks used, most of which are external MIDI tracks. There is currently only one brief audio track, which currently has no inserts, sends or other processing. There is however, an instrument track running MOTU Mach 5 sampler as a VST plug-in (latest version), with one instrument assigned.
The only thing that makes this less than completely catastrophic is that I can load this same project successfully into Cubase 7.5. Once the project has been saved from in Cubase 7.5 it will open and work perfectly fine in Cubase Pro 8 until it is saved from within Cubase Pro 8. Attempts to re-open after that results in failure. If the Mach 5 plug-in is removed before saving, then the problem does not occur.
Here are steps to reproduce:
- Load the project using MOTU Mach 5 plug-in into Cubase 7.5 instead of Cubase Pro 8
- Save the project from within Cubase 7.5
- Quit Cubase 7.5 and boot Cubase Pro 8
- Open the project in Cubase Pro 8 (everything works perfectly )
- Save the project from with Cubase Pro 8
- Close the project (or quit Cubase Pro 8)
- Open this last saved version in Cubase Pro 8 = Fail!
I’d like to point out, that I’ve been using the MOTU Mach 5 plug-in for a few years, and quite a long time in the current version with older versions of Cubase and never had any kind of problem!