Project was created with Cubase 1.x.

Hi! Cubase 9 crashed today, and it made a version -02 of the same .cpr file. When I tried opening the -02 version, Cubase says:

Project “Master Orchestral Template 3.0-02.cpr” was created with Cubase 1.x. This program version cannot load it.

I haven’t got anything like this before with previous Cubase versions. I’m using Cubase Pro 9.0.0 Build 92 (64 bit), Windows 7 64-bit. I’m sure the file was created in Cubase 9, but somehow Cubase thinks that it was created with Cubase 1.x.

I’ve been having this happen to me all night. Can’t open my backup files.

This happened to me with my orchestral template. While I have a backup, it’s nowhere near the point I was at. Seems to have corrupted once file size reached 4GB. (all tracks were disabled)

Yikes, I’m now getting this with 9.5.10. I’ve recently ‘upgraded’ to High Sierra, on a new build. Never had this before, and 4 projects now report this error. Damn.

I am running into this while setting up a template in 9.5

Anyone found any workarounds or fixes yet? It seems like when a .cpr reaches about 4gb then it becomes unusable.

Gah!

I’m finding that suddenly my project is about 4gb. Previously it was approx 2.4gb. I added some stuff (disabled tracks) but I think I’m hitting some ceiling and the file size is arbitrarily increasing to 4194305kb.

It does this, but then the project is unusable as the error “this project was build with cubase 1.x” is displayed.

I’m using extremely high track counts with this (all disabled).

Is it this issue?

Yes I certainly think it is!

The project size that is usable is 2095701 … so 2gb. If I add any more tracks to that the file size jumps to 4194305, so 4gb. Double the correct project size. Cubase continues to work fine with this until the project is saved and reloaded at which point it gives an error “project was built in cubase 1.x” and it cannot be loaded.

I hope there is a patch to fix this soon.

The burning question would be, of those projects that became suddenly 4gb, once there is a fix … will they be readable?

Also, as a feature request, it’d be great to be able to save folders filled with tracks… I don’t think that is possible right now.

There are multiple threads on this topic, so I’ll close this one.

Please continue here: [FIXED by v9.5.40 update] Cubase corrupts .cpr files that reach 1.99GB by blowing them up to exactly 4,194,305 KB - Cubase - Steinberg Forums