Propagate props from part to score - possible?

Hi,

is it possible to propagate properties from a part layout to a score?
I have been editing some spellings of accidentals in a part and then wanted to propagate them to the score - but it didn’t work.
ThX!

I assume propagating properties works in both directions:

…The second tool is a command to duplicate the properties of a selected item to all other layouts in which that item appears. Users coming from other programs that have linked parts may be surprised that if you change certain elements in a score — such as the placement, design, and position of slurs, for example — don’t necessarily carry forward to the part in Dorico.

The new Edit > Propagate Properties command is designed to address this shortcoming, by doing just that — propagating a selected object’s properties from one layout to all of the others where that object appears.

When invoked in Write mode, the set of properties propagated will be only the more limited set that are available in that mode. When invoked in Engrave mode, the complete set of properties will be propagated.

this quote is from the Dorico 2.1 review on scoringnotes.com
Dorico 2.1 released — large update boasts many new features and fixes - Scoring Notes

I may be wrong, but I think enharmonic spellings are not part of the propagateable properties, but a one way thing only…

I’ve not tried it right this minute, but I would expect enharmonic spelling to be propagatable from a part layout to the full score layout.

Here is a short GIF-Movie.
2018-09-04 16.48.43.gif
Doesn’t seem to work but maybe I’m missing something…?

I was prepared to swear it worked for me on sunday… but I’ve tried 3 scenarios today and it simply doesn’t work… :confused:

Could this be by design? One would not necessarily want enharmonic spelling to propagate between a C score and a transposed part.

In my opinion that wouldn’t make much sense and, in this case, I used a “non-transposing” instrument anyway.

I can confirm after examining the code for this feature that note spelling is explicitly excluded from being propagated. The rationale for that is that Dorico already handles this case in a useful way: you can adjust the spelling in the score and this will affect the part, but edits made in the part don’t affect the score. You could consider using W to switch between the part and the score in order to make the edit in the score even if you’re focused on editing the part.

Yikes… this is kind of devastating. I’ve just made a bunch of enharmonic changes to a harp part. I did it in the harp part simply because it was easier to keep track of the pedalling as I worked through the music. Now I find I cannot propagate the enharmonic changes to the score, which means doing the whole thing again. What’s even more bizarre is that I can’t copy/paste the changes in—if I copy from the (correct) part, delete the material in the score, then paste into the score, I get the old enharmonics. Very strange.

On the off-chance that a separate score might enable copy/paste, I’m going to try copying the fixed enharmonics into a whole new Dorico document, then copy-pasting from there…

[UPDATE: Wow… nope, can’t copy into another Dorico document either… this is kinda painful…]

It would be great to have everything open to propagating from part to score.

For future reference, my method for this is to create a score layout that only contains one instrument (harp, in this case). Fix your enharmonics there, and note that they automatically propagate to both the Full Score and Harp Part layouts.

For what it’s worth, I learnt this the hard way, too, albeit a good year ago. As I understand it, enharmonics can’t be propagated because they’re not a visible property: they don’t appear anywhere in the Properties panel. Presumably internally they’re stored as some other sort of property. I understand that the existing flexibility is wonderful for situations where one wants a transposed part spelt differently to a concert pitch score; I don’t understand how the current behaviour is helpful at all when working with concert pitch instruments.

Thanks for the tip. I can certainly see the thinking behind the current approach, but I was very much caught off guard by it—honestly, this was a bit of an unusual process for me, which I’d be unlikely to repeat again anyway… At any rate, I’ll certainly be aware of it next time. For now, I’m just opening a separate window with the part and reproducing the changes in the score.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is a “SCORE”?I often have three scores in my layouts, sometimes 6 or 7. I will almost always have a conductor’s score that is transposed and has all the instruments the conductor needs to know about. I will usually have a concert pitch score. I may have another custom score that has a few more instruments that don’t appear on the conductor’s score. And I might also have some custom scores for just woodwinds or just brass.
Are all of these considered “scores” and all treated the same for the purposed of propagation?

In my experience, a score layout is any layout that has been created using the conductor icon (on the far left of this image). I’m not entirely sure how Custom Layouts function, in this area.

Creating scores for working on an instrument or two (or a flow) has become a big part of my process in Dorico.